It's not too late! Order your 2023 Lieutenant Exam "Just the Questions" for only $349 Visit www.RisingStarPromotion.com to order over 1400 questions specifically designed for maximum retention of the Patrol Guide--plus full-length exams!

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Pros and Cons of Lt rank?


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 112
Date:
Pros and Cons of Lt rank?


Top pay sgt to rookie Lt



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 224
Date:

If you got to ask then it aint for you.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 112
Date:

Yeah im not staying past 20 so it might not be worth it

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 224
Date:

You get paid more to do less with steady RDO. Hardest part of that rank is keeping that white shirt clean. Its a different story if you been inside these past few years then definitely ride it out in comfort.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 228
Date:

There are no cons to it.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:

The only con is that its a pain in the butt to keep the white shirt and vest carrier clean.



__________________

ALL NYPD EXAMS(SGT/LT/CAPT)COMPLETED!!!



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 230
Date:

TransitCop wrote:

You get paid more to do less with steady RDO. Hardest part of that rank is keeping that white shirt clean. Its a different story if you been inside these past few years then definitely ride it out in comfort.


 Youre actually not getting paid that much more for the first few years. Remember, no chart days for basically 6 years Which means youre making more appearance, essentially getting paid for showing up more.  Sgt working 5-2 gets 28 chart days.  Lt working 5-2 gets zero.  If you like your time off this is probably the worst part of the rank because youre going to find yourself staying for time a lot.  Build up as much time as you can



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 112
Date:

Yeah thanks for the feedback

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 502
Date:

3yrWonder wrote:
TransitCop wrote:

You get paid more to do less with steady RDO. Hardest part of that rank is keeping that white shirt clean. Its a different story if you been inside these past few years then definitely ride it out in comfort.


 Youre actually not getting paid that much more for the first few years. Remember, no chart days for basically 6 years Which means youre making more appearance, essentially getting paid for showing up more.  Sgt working 5-2 gets 28 chart days.  Lt working 5-2 gets zero.  If you like your time off this is probably the worst part of the rank because youre going to find yourself staying for time a lot.  Build up as much time as you can


 Not only those things, but you work 8:45 with no chart days. Meaning you work 45 minutes every day for free. So its not even really a raise. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 236
Date:

fodx wrote:
3yrWonder wrote:
TransitCop wrote:

You get paid more to do less with steady RDO. Hardest part of that rank is keeping that white shirt clean. Its a different story if you been inside these past few years then definitely ride it out in comfort.


 Youre actually not getting paid that much more for the first few years. Remember, no chart days for basically 6 years Which means youre making more appearance, essentially getting paid for showing up more.  Sgt working 5-2 gets 28 chart days.  Lt working 5-2 gets zero.  If you like your time off this is probably the worst part of the rank because youre going to find yourself staying for time a lot.  Build up as much time as you can


 Not only those things, but you work 8:45 with no chart days. Meaning you work 45 minutes every day for free. So its not even really a raise. 


 I never understood how/why the LBA looked at that and said "yeah... this is a wonderful idea!"



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 496
Date:

Bc to pay for the raises pba gotyou have to find the money in givebacks. Pba could say sure make starting pay lower for new hires. Its not so easy doing that to a sgt otj currently wanting to possible become a lieutenant. So they gave up things that seemed like nothing was really being given back in order to pay for the raises. Another rational was lt got a lot of time overtime. So made up for the chart days. Thats kind of stopped so that rational isnt there anymore. Some will argue that chart days do not pay the mortgage. Very true however those chart days have a dollar value and they were given up to afford raises in a nut shell without diminishing more important perks

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

I always get amazed how give backs are a normal part of raise negotiations, when it comes to this department and the city. The whole idea of raises, is to keep up with cost of living increases. There is no such thing as give backs in the private sector. And unions usually get updated contract within DAYS of the last one expiring. It's a total shame that police unions and other city employed union allow this to continue and normalizing it.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 181
Date:

collarsfordollars wrote:

I always get amazed how give backs are a normal part of raise negotiations, when it comes to this department and the city. The whole idea of raises, is to keep up with cost of living increases. There is no such thing as give backs in the private sector. And unions usually get updated contract within DAYS of the last one expiring. It's a total shame that police unions and other city employed union allow this to continue and normalizing it.


I am by no means an apologist for this dept or city, but pensions are virtually all but phased out in the private sector. And workers probably didn't even get any kickbacks for it, at least not the extent that we do. The City is a business just like any private sector company, and they are rabid with the thought of getting rid of the pensions. When they sit down and negotiate with us, they don't see the bullshit we deal with everyday, they only see spoiled "City workers" with great benefits, pensions and relatively high civil service salaries. They are more interested in bringing us down to the level of other city workers, like some random DCAS clerk, rather than seeing our job for what it is. Its shitty we have to give chart days for more salary, but we are probably one of the few agencies that can still negotiate like that instead of just taking whatever the city throws at us.

On another note, and this is more for current Lt's, but does the bullshit slow down? I had a pretty anal CO when I got promoted to Sgt and most days it just felt like playing a game of antagonize the Sgt with texts and pile more shit on his plate, even when a Lt was in. Is Lt rank better in this regard? Do CO's tend to leave you alone more? 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 224
Date:

You get one less jackass on your case as a LT. Instead of two supervisors micro managing its just one

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 181
Date:

maybe its just me but I never had a problem with a LT that I couldn't smooth over instantly. Captains and up are another breed though.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us