Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Thinking of Passing up Promotion
What should I do with the promotion [38 vote(s)]

Take the rank of Lt. It's better than Sgt. anywhere.
44.7%
Stay a Sgt. in a detail. It's better than Lt on patrol
36.8%
Take Lt and tough it out bc the money is worth it
18.4%


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 166
Date:
Thinking of Passing up Promotion


I finally got off patrol a little over a year ago and have a good amount of time in the Sgt rank. I'm guessing they will get to my list number in about 12 months where I will have about 3.5 years to retirement. I have steady days off and am getting my chart days.  With everything going on, is it worth taking the promotion ?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

your detail can go poof real quick and your back out there as a sgt

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Date:

20yrSentence wrote:

I finally got off patrol a little over a year ago and have a good amount of time in the Sgt rank. I'm guessing they will get to my list number in about 12 months where I will have about 3.5 years to retirement. I have steady days off and am getting my chart days.  With everything going on, is it worth taking the promotion ?


Take the promotion. Its all about your pension. Youll only need to do 1 extra year to get the top pay Lieutenant salary. Plus after 6 months you can always put in to get off patrol. The only dilemma would be if your in a place where youre getting 30-40 hours a month and your happy and it works for family life. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 928
Date:

Only you know whats best for you and your family.

But i will say this.

Not every cop wants to be a sgt.
Not every Lt wants to be a capt.
But literally every sgt wants to be a Lt.

Theres a reason why some say its the best rank on this job.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:

Only you know whats best for you and your family.

But i will say this.

Not every cop wants to be a sgt.
Not every Lt wants to be a capt.
But literally every sgt wants to be a Lt.

Theres a reason why some say its the best rank on this job.


 do you feel it still is?



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

Absolutely.
This is hands down the best rank. Doesnt matter if youre in a busy or a slow house. As long as your CO/XO are good, you stay on top of your sh*t, youll be good. Now, if you have a year left, you get OT in your gig, definitely leaving at 20 on the dot, then no need to take promo. You still have 3 years, get promoted, right off the bat youll get 10K raise, hit 20th year and re-evaluate

__________________
Quick


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:

rookiebit_h wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:

Only you know whats best for you and your family.

But i will say this.

Not every cop wants to be a sgt.
Not every Lt wants to be a capt.
But literally every sgt wants to be a Lt.

Theres a reason why some say its the best rank on this job.


 do you feel it still is?


Hands down, still the best rank on this job. As long as you stay away from a command that has a shortage of supervisors, in which csse you'll be a Sgt with a white shirt, other than that you'll be good as a LT.

On patrol, you might have your occasional BS traffic stat meetings, platoon commander meetings etc.

In Housing, you're going to make a TON of overtime but deal with shootings all the time. 

Transit is practically an easy detail

Definitely take the promotion, max out your pension and leave this dreadfully vile department.

 

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Date:

Take the promotion, your crazy if you dont. I have the LCD money doing 40 a month in a sweet gig. Im making the same money if not more than 2 star chief. If you have a good reputation on this job as a sgt you will have NO problem landing a good spot as a LT very shortly after your promotion. Good Luck



-- Edited by thisjobsucks on Friday 26th of June 2020 09:45:08 PM

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Date:

You're asking this question on an NYPD Promotional forum. You should know where the answers will fall, most will say take the promotion. Let me tell you as a Sgt. in a great gig, off the street doing 40 a month that I pretty much have the freedom to schedule my own OT + still getting my chart days.... Only YOU know the right answer for YOUR situation. There are too many variables at work here. Could you get booted from the detail? Sure? Or not? You could stay there and coast right til' 20 with zero stress. Or maybe you'll get hooked into another gig if you take the promotion to Lt? No one knows and to act like you do is pure speculation.

Or maybe you'll land in a busy command running around for the next 4 years stealing 49's from your Sgt's because there's absolutely no overtime? I've seen guys who were Sgt's in great gigs take the promotion with the promise and intention of getting hooked back into that detail that never happened because there were no vacancies in the rank of Lt.... or they just plain old got out-hooked. I've seen guys take the promotion to Lt. and after 6-8 months and the stars aligned and they were right back in that gig... There's too many variables at work here. For what it's worth, if you're in a good gig making money, I would say just stay. Getting off patrol is the #1 priority today and no matter what rank you are it can all go down in a ball of flames in a heartbeat. Been watching the news lately? You think any rank is safe? I've been on all sides of this job; busy commands, slow commands and everything in between... and now a bonafide detail where I can hopefully cruise a few more years til' 20 and out. The detail side without a doubt is where it's at. Quality of life and safety matter on this job.

Only you can make this decision. Good luck.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:

Haha making money. Just wait to you see the overtime budget coming our way

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 928
Date:

rookiebit_h wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:

Only you know whats best for you and your family.

But i will say this.

Not every cop wants to be a sgt.
Not every Lt wants to be a capt.
But literally every sgt wants to be a Lt.

Theres a reason why some say its the best rank on this job.


 do you feel it still is?


Yes i do.  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1078
Date:

This is the easier question ever.  Yes, you take it.  LT to Captain is debatable in some circumstances. Not Sgt to LT



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

what paperwork is involved in deferring?

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 467
Date:

Id stay a Sgt given your circumstances. Plus most importantly youre working longer tours with ZERO CHART DAYS. Screw that

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 928
Date:

fodx wrote:

Id stay a Sgt given your circumstances. Plus most importantly youre working longer tours with ZERO CHART DAYS. Screw that


 Worst post award. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
fodx wrote:

Id stay a Sgt given your circumstances. Plus most importantly youre working longer tours with ZERO CHART DAYS. Screw that


 Worst post award. 


He's at the bottom of the LTs list, so he's trying to convince people to remain as Sergeants to make himself feel better for not doing well on the exam.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 178
Date:

Who cares if you pass up promotion.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 258
Date:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.

__________________

...Just a Rook who read a Big Book

LT 2017 Exam

Sgt 2013 Exam



Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 258
Date:

rookiebit_h wrote:
monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?


 None, its a gentlemens club at LT



__________________

...Just a Rook who read a Big Book

LT 2017 Exam

Sgt 2013 Exam



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 320
Date:

monkeybones wrote:
rookiebit_h wrote:
monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?


 None, its a gentlemens club at LT


Couldnt have said it better. You essentially run the show as a LT. You come and go from the command as you please, no one ever questions what youre doing or why. No one looks for you. If theres a heavy job you go and show face and make sure the Sgt is taking care of business and then you leave and continue your day. You never get stuck on anything, you never have to do anything you dont want to do. Each day goes how you want it to go. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should turn down a promotion to Lt. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

soccerpsyco32 wrote:
monkeybones wrote:
rookiebit_h wrote:
monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?


 None, its a gentlemens club at LT


Couldnt have said it better. You essentially run the show as a LT. You come and go from the command as you please, no one ever questions what youre doing or why. No one looks for you. If theres a heavy job you go and show face and make sure the Sgt is taking care of business and then you leave and continue your day. You never get stuck on anything, you never have to do anything you dont want to do. Each day goes how you want it to go. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should turn down a promotion to Lt. 


 This sounds too good to be true.. Circa 2005-2015



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 320
Date:

I should put a disclaimer on my last post. It is all still true, BUT only if you are assigned to a command with ample resources. In other words, a ****hole command actually will work out better as a LT because there are always enough Sgts working. This will not be the case if you go to a C house. In a slow cushy command like the 112 or the 94, you will find yourself playing a game that my friends in these commands call Sergeant in a white shirt. In other words, because the command is so slow, they are given the bare minimum as far as staffing goes which means that anytime a Sergeant is out sick, vacation, training, etc, you will now be filling a Sergeant role. You want a busy A house command as a LT.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:

soccerpsyco32 wrote:

I should put a disclaimer on my last post. It is all still true, BUT only if you are assigned to a command with ample resources. In other words, a ****hole command actually will work out better as a LT because there are always enough Sgts working. This will not be the case if you go to a C house. In a slow cushy command like the 112 or the 94, you will find yourself playing a game that my friends in these commands call Sergeant in a white shirt. In other words, because the command is so slow, they are given the bare minimum as far as staffing goes which means that anytime a Sergeant is out sick, vacation, training, etc, you will now be filling a Sergeant role. You want a busy A house command as a LT.

 

I will co-sign this

Busier commands with ample Sergeants is the way to go as a LT. I started off in a "slower" Bronx command, I had 2 Sgts on my platoon, so essentially I was a Sergeant in a white shirt. 

It's also easier to get pulled into a gig from a busier command with 8-9 Lts vs a slower command that has only 4 Lts.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
soccerpsyco32 wrote:

I should put a disclaimer on my last post. It is all still true, BUT only if you are assigned to a command with ample resources. In other words, a ****hole command actually will work out better as a LT because there are always enough Sgts working. This will not be the case if you go to a C house. In a slow cushy command like the 112 or the 94, you will find yourself playing a game that my friends in these commands call Sergeant in a white shirt. In other words, because the command is so slow, they are given the bare minimum as far as staffing goes which means that anytime a Sergeant is out sick, vacation, training, etc, you will now be filling a Sergeant role. You want a busy A house command as a LT.

 

I will co-sign this

Busier commands with ample Sergeants is the way to go as a LT. I started off in a "slower" Bronx command, I had 2 Sgts on my platoon, so essentially I was a Sergeant in a white shirt. 

It's also easier to get pulled into a gig from a busier command with 8-9 Lts vs a slower command that has only 4 Lts.


 pulled into a gig in house? or easier to apply and for them to let u go?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 491
Date:

rookiebit_h wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
soccerpsyco32 wrote:

I should put a disclaimer on my last post. It is all still true, BUT only if you are assigned to a command with ample resources. In other words, a ****hole command actually will work out better as a LT because there are always enough Sgts working. This will not be the case if you go to a C house. In a slow cushy command like the 112 or the 94, you will find yourself playing a game that my friends in these commands call Sergeant in a white shirt. In other words, because the command is so slow, they are given the bare minimum as far as staffing goes which means that anytime a Sergeant is out sick, vacation, training, etc, you will now be filling a Sergeant role. You want a busy A house command as a LT.

 

I will co-sign this

Busier commands with ample Sergeants is the way to go as a LT. I started off in a "slower" Bronx command, I had 2 Sgts on my platoon, so essentially I was a Sergeant in a white shirt. 

It's also easier to get pulled into a gig from a busier command with 8-9 Lts vs a slower command that has only 4 Lts.


 pulled into a gig in house? or easier to apply and for them to let u go?


A gig outside of the command...if you're in a command where there's 8-9 Lts it's easier to pull you out of that command and into the gig.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 928
Date:

soccerpsyco32 wrote:
monkeybones wrote:
rookiebit_h wrote:
monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?


 None, its a gentlemens club at LT


Couldnt have said it better. You essentially run the show as a LT. You come and go from the command as you please, no one ever questions what youre doing or why. No one looks for you. If theres a heavy job you go and show face and make sure the Sgt is taking care of business and then you leave and continue your day. You never get stuck on anything, you never have to do anything you dont want to do. Each day goes how you want it to go. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should turn down a promotion to Lt. 


 100% this.

But dont be the guy that sits in the lounge all day. Help your sgts. Do meals. Dont let people step on them. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Online
Posts: 452
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
soccerpsyco32 wrote:
monkeybones wrote:
rookiebit_h wrote:
monkeybones wrote:

I had a great gig with 40 @ my desk as a SGT. I still took the promotion to LT and wouldnt have had it any other way.


 no regrets?


 None, its a gentlemens club at LT


Couldnt have said it better. You essentially run the show as a LT. You come and go from the command as you please, no one ever questions what youre doing or why. No one looks for you. If theres a heavy job you go and show face and make sure the Sgt is taking care of business and then you leave and continue your day. You never get stuck on anything, you never have to do anything you dont want to do. Each day goes how you want it to go. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should turn down a promotion to Lt. 


 100% this.

But dont be the guy that sits in the lounge all day. Help your sgts. Do meals. Dont let people step on them. 


 Yep.. I swore to myself, "I'll never be like ____...  "   Only covered the desk for meal never put on a gun-belt and relieved patrol..    You see many Lts out for themselves and don't defend their sgts



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard