Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Sgt Mentoring


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:
RE: Sgt Mentoring


Ive been on patrol 12 years and in a sector now ,i dont need the practice in a different precinct thats my point, for the people in desk jobs i get it.... im not the only one in this boat



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

Toretto wrote:

Ive been on patrol 12 years and in a sector now ,i dont need the practice in a different precinct thats my point, for the people in desk jobs i get it.... im not the only one in this boat


 I agree, you probably dont need it as much as an admin person. But maybe youll get lucky and will shadow a sgt or work the desk. In that case it would be worth it. Besides every command is different, seeing how others do things might benefit you should you go to a similar (slow, busy, etc) command.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 68
Date:

CappedOut wrote:

I disagree. Even if worst case scenario people are put on foot posts, it a two least takes people out of admin positions and into commands. Ideally theyd shadow a Sgt or be a sector, but at least theyre doing some fashion of police work and getting a sense of patrol. 


 

Yes but this isnt a list of 100 admin people. I am on patrol in a busy command and I am on the list.



-- Edited by NauseousPBBN on Wednesday 23rd of May 2018 05:43:15 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

CappedOut wrote:

I disagree. Even if worst case scenario people are put on foot posts, it a two least takes people out of admin positions and into commands. Ideally theyd shadow a Sgt or be a sector, but at least theyre doing some fashion of police work and getting a sense of patrol.


 Except they are taking people out of actual patrol commands..people that are already doing patrol and now they just put them on footposts. 

All they are doing is making Impact again for the summer without calling it what it is



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 221
Date:

I guess we all have to take the shaft until our number is called. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 749
Date:

Lol. The first month in your commands as sgts you will wish you were still on a foot post.



-- Edited by brooklynbacon on Wednesday 23rd of May 2018 08:16:42 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:

Did everybody on this list receive an email or a call in regards to this ? I am on the list but didnt receive any notification ..

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

I didnt get an email but was notified by ops coordinator 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 221
Date:

ask the admin LT. He has the email 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 451
Date:

Regi wrote:
CappedOut wrote:

I disagree. Even if worst case scenario people are put on foot posts, it a two least takes people out of admin positions and into commands. Ideally theyd shadow a Sgt or be a sector, but at least theyre doing some fashion of police work and getting a sense of patrol.


 Except they are taking people out of actual patrol commands..people that are already doing patrol and now they just put them on footposts. 

All they are doing is making Impact again for the summer without calling it what it is


 Actually the program makes sense rookie. If they kept you in the same command then the cops you work with would blow you off if you asked them to do something during mentoring. In  the program you will be learning how to man the desk, do roll calls, supervise sectors from sgts in busy commands who are actually doing it. 

No matter what command you currently work in on patrol will prepare you to be a sgt. Its a big transition. So utilize this program as a learning experience rookie!



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 451
Date:

And if your not smart enough to figure out why they skipped numbers from 180ish to 230ish then maybe you dont need to be a sergeant of police!

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 132
Date:

They're doing this because they realize most guys shut down before they get promoted (rightfully so...) so they figure go stand somewhere and look good.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Date:

Does anybody know the choices of commands?
Any staten island commands?

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:
Regi wrote:
CappedOut wrote:

I disagree. Even if worst case scenario people are put on foot posts, it a two least takes people out of admin positions and into commands. Ideally theyd shadow a Sgt or be a sector, but at least theyre doing some fashion of police work and getting a sense of patrol.


 Except they are taking people out of actual patrol commands..people that are already doing patrol and now they just put them on footposts. 

All they are doing is making Impact again for the summer without calling it what it is


 Actually the program makes sense rookie. If they kept you in the same command then the cops you work with would blow you off if you asked them to do something during mentoring. In  the program you will be learning how to man the desk, do roll calls, supervise sectors from sgts in busy commands who are actually doing it. 

No matter what command you currently work in on patrol will prepare you to be a sgt. Its a big transition. So utilize this program as a learning experience rookie!


 Bro just STFU already you are the biggest nerd on this board. Stick to your LT forum and go cry so more about the old Lt exam.

What was said is the precincts DONT use cops for anything Useful like teaching roll call, the desk etc. but put you on a footpost. 

But clearly you are too big of a tool to comprehend what was being discussed.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Date:

Chilza321 wrote:

Does anybody know the choices of commands?
Any staten island commands?


 120



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 221
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

And if your not smart enough to figure out why they skipped numbers from 180ish to 230ish then maybe you dont need to be a sergeant of police!


  what heck is wrong with you? All we are doing here is posting info for the people that need it. Youre always quick to talk down to people. Relax, no wonder youre not liked in the LT forum. I can imagine how you talk to your cops. I guess it makes you feel better talking down to people. Just remember when youre getting your ass kicked we are the ones Who back you up.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:

I am also on this list and havent received any information regarding this. Also already on patrol along with everyone I know who is on this list. I'm expecting a summer of foot posts and Transports if this ends up happening.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Date:

ddollar wrote:

I am also on this list and havent received any information regarding this. Also already on patrol along with everyone I know who is on this list. I'm expecting a summer of foot posts and Transports if this ends up happening.


 They are only going to number 360 ish. The email was sent to admin personal of the members commands who fall into that criteria. Its June 14 - sept 7ish or so. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 451
Date:

Arrow wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

And if your not smart enough to figure out why they skipped numbers from 180ish to 230ish then maybe you dont need to be a sergeant of police!


  what heck is wrong with you? All we are doing here is posting info for the people that need it. Youre always quick to talk down to people. Relax, no wonder youre not liked in the LT forum. I can imagine how you talk to your cops. I guess it makes you feel better talking down to people. Just remember when youre getting your ass kicked we are the ones Who back you up.


 Excuse me rookie?! Nothing is wrong with me or the rest of the 9 heroes or their followers. Im not talking down to you but you guys need to stop whining about a program that was created to help you develop professionally.

Listen buddy, the job is being proactive with professional development nowadays and you should appreciate the fact that this administration cares about mentoring cops on the transition to sergeant. Back in the day the job would just throw you out there and say good luck kid. So stop acting like a spoiled millennial and take advantage of this opportunity!



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

Nobody is whining ... i Dont think anyone would mind if the program was actually used the way its meant .. what we are whining about is the fact that its called Sgt mentoring but they just throw you out as a sector or whatever plug to fill the hole and not actually teach you ****... and the fact that most people on the list are already on patrol currently. So people dont understand why they are taking us from patrol now to put us patrol in another place without actually teaching us ****. understand?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 117
Date:

As Leslie would say, the force isnt strong with that one.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 398
Date:

Toretto wrote:

Nobody is whining ... i Dont think anyone would mind if the program was actually used the way its meant .. what we are whining about is the fact that its called Sgt mentoring but they just throw you out as a sector or whatever plug to fill the hole and not actually teach you ****... and the fact that most people on the list are already on patrol currently. So people dont understand why they are taking us from patrol now to put us patrol in another place without actually teaching us ****. understand?


 It's another form of all-out that's all it is

They would rather use soon-to-be Sergeants, instead of using the house mouse in 1PP. They would rather risk jamming up a cop who's about to be a supervisor instead of risking a cop who's in a cushy gig who knows Chief So-so. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 221
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:
Arrow wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

And if your not smart enough to figure out why they skipped numbers from 180ish to 230ish then maybe you dont need to be a sergeant of police!


  what heck is wrong with you? All we are doing here is posting info for the people that need it. Youre always quick to talk down to people. Relax, no wonder youre not liked in the LT forum. I can imagine how you talk to your cops. I guess it makes you feel better talking down to people. Just remember when youre getting your ass kicked we are the ones Who back you up.


 Excuse me rookie?! Nothing is wrong with me or the rest of the 9 heroes or their followers. Im not talking down to you but you guys need to stop whining about a program that was created to help you develop professionally.

Listen buddy, the job is being proactive with professional development nowadays and you should appreciate the fact that this administration cares about mentoring cops on the transition to sergeant. Back in the day the job would just throw you out there and say good luck kid. So stop acting like a spoiled millennial and take advantage of this opportunity!


 



-- Edited by Arrow on Thursday 24th of May 2018 02:21:35 PM



-- Edited by Arrow on Thursday 24th of May 2018 02:36:08 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

I got charges and specs on my record and I was modified. This was about over 7 to 8 years ago. I was expecting to go to CARB. But now I'm going to this whole sgt mentioning thing. You any of you guys think it's still a possibility to go to CARB? Because I don't see why I'd need to go to sgt mentioning of they'd went to CARB me and then make a decision. What do you guys think?

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

Also the charges had nothing to do with domestic or drinking or anything like that. It was based off of work

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 68
Date:

So is the assumption that there will be no Sgt classes after June until September?

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Date:

NauseousPBBN wrote:

So is the assumption that there will be no Sgt classes after June until September?


 I don't think anybody knows that for sure... I'm in that boat where I'm on the lower end of people in this program.. email says you might go to bmoc during this program.. or you might stay the entire time.. needs of the dept I'm sure



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:

NauseousPBBN wrote:

So is the assumption that there will be no Sgt classes after June until September?


 The way I read the 49 is you're in the mentoring program from June 14 to September 7th or until you get promoted which ever happens first.  Again just the way I read it but it made it sound like everyone will be going into BMOC by September 7th the latest. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 104
Date:

My command still did not receive this 49 & list, can anyone post that 49!


__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:
Arrow wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

And if your not smart enough to figure out why they skipped numbers from 180ish to 230ish then maybe you dont need to be a sergeant of police!


  what heck is wrong with you? All we are doing here is posting info for the people that need it. Youre always quick to talk down to people. Relax, no wonder youre not liked in the LT forum. I can imagine how you talk to your cops. I guess it makes you feel better talking down to people. Just remember when youre getting your ass kicked we are the ones Who back you up.


 Excuse me rookie?! Nothing is wrong with me or the rest of the 9 heroes or their followers. Im not talking down to you but you guys need to stop whining about a program that was created to help you develop professionally.

Listen buddy, the job is being proactive with professional development nowadays and you should appreciate the fact that this administration cares about mentoring cops on the transition to sergeant. Back in the day the job would just throw you out there and say good luck kid. So stop acting like a spoiled millennial and take advantage of this opportunity!


9 heroes and their followers? Lmao you definitely still live at home and play dungeon and dragons on your RDOs.

Stop drinking the kool-aid. Just because the job calls it something doesnt mean thats what actually happens. You are definitely a true believer that treats the Patrol Guide like its the Bible. Im sure your cops love you.

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 40
Date:

CARB is in the admin guide you can look it on the intranet. I would read it closey. Somethings you must go to CARB and something you may go to carb



-- Edited by Fuge052 on Thursday 24th of May 2018 06:17:52 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

ddollar wrote:
NauseousPBBN wrote:

So is the assumption that there will be no Sgt classes after June until September?


 The way I read the 49 is you're in the mentoring program from June 14 to September 7th or until you get promoted which ever happens first.  Again just the way I read it but it made it sound like everyone will be going into BMOC by September 7th the latest. 


 My understanding is that they usually dont have bmoc classes for SGTs in July or August but with that many LT promotions happening in June you never know.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:

SRGrook033 wrote:

My command still did not receive this 49 & list, can anyone post that 49!


 The list is on the first page. 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

Toretto wrote:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August


 Yeah they put in 3 classes trying to finish off the list before LTs exam. Typically they take summer off but we shall see.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 119
Date:

Regi wrote:
Toretto wrote:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August


 Yeah they put in 3 classes trying to finish off the list before LTs exam. Typically they take summer off but we shall see.


 Rumor I heard recently, just possible information take it for what you want, was 80-100 promotions next few months. Only down months projected for now are October/November  The department wants to exhaust this list. 

 

This is is just something I heard from someone I trust. Take it for what you want. 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

3rdtimetheCharm wrote:
Regi wrote:
Toretto wrote:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August


 Yeah they put in 3 classes trying to finish off the list before LTs exam. Typically they take summer off but we shall see.


 Rumor I heard recently, just possible information take it for what you want, was 80-100 promotions next few months. Only down months projected for now are October/November  The department wants to exhaust this list. 

 

This is is just something I heard from someone I trust. Take it for what you want. 


Does that include the 50 going in June or additional on top of that? 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Date:

3rdtimetheCharm wrote:
Regi wrote:
Toretto wrote:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August


 Yeah they put in 3 classes trying to finish off the list before LTs exam. Typically they take summer off but we shall see.


 Rumor I heard recently, just possible information take it for what you want, was 80-100 promotions next few months. Only down months projected for now are October/November  The department wants to exhaust this list. 

 

This is is just something I heard from someone I trust. Take it for what you want. 


not true at all. I heard list will be cut between 1700-1800.  Its too many people to put in. Whosever your source is, he is wrong Unless something drastic happens  this list will be cut between those numbers  

-- Edited by Thisjobsocks on Friday 25th of May 2018 05:31:08 PM



-- Edited by Thisjobsocks on Friday 25th of May 2018 06:36:05 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 119
Date:

Thisjobsocks wrote:
3rdtimetheCharm wrote:
Regi wrote:
Toretto wrote:

They put in two classes last summer i belive June and end of July or August


 Yeah they put in 3 classes trying to finish off the list before LTs exam. Typically they take summer off but we shall see.


 Rumor I heard recently, just possible information take it for what you want, was 80-100 promotions next few months. Only down months projected for now are October/November  The department wants to exhaust this list. 

 

This is is just something I heard from someone I trust. Take it for what you want. 


not true at all. I heard list will be cut between 1700-1800.  Its too many people to put in. Whosever your source is, he is wrong Unless something drastic happens  this list will be cut between those numbers  

-- Edited by Thisjobsocks on Friday 25th of May 2018 05:31:08 PM



-- Edited by Thisjobsocks on Friday 25th of May 2018 05:34:18 PM


  So because you heard something different then what I heard then that means my information is wrong?



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Date:

Not really. Just saying. I heard those numbers from multiple people and it does sound more realistic. If u honestly think this list going pass those numbers, you are either down on this list or lying to yourself, listen no one really knows how this will turn around few years down the line but we all have to be realistic at some point. Time will tell. The question really is. Do this job need this many bosses around and will people retire to open up spots. From what I have been seeing, people dont wanna retire and enjoy their life.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 79
Date:

Thisjobsocks wrote:

Not really. Just saying. I heard those numbers from multiple people and it does sound more realistic. If u honestly think this list going pass those numbers, you are either down on this list or lying to yourself, listen no one really knows how this will turn around few years down the line but we all have to be realistic at some point. Time will tell. The question really is. Do this job need this many bosses around and will people retire to open up spots. From what I have been seeing, people dont wanna retire and enjoy their life.


 Their are plans to get a lot further than 1700-1800 on this list.  Our list was manufactured up to 2700 for a reason.  As I've said multiple times over and over and over again.  Proof is in the fact that the LT list that just dropped is also huge and wasn't "Scaled" because it didn't need to be to hit the desired number of passers.  What the people you're talking to don't take into account is that this is new testing process and this is the new testing norm.  I bet they probably would have told you that there is no way a 2700 person list would even be possible.  Much bigger lists that and much more time between tests.  There are a lot more factors at play that I'm not going to get into now.  But the city has something cooking.  You'll see it when you see it.  And if/when the 4 year expiration date turns into a 6 year expiration don't act surprised.  The five year wonder is pretty much going to become a thing of the past.  



-- Edited by IamTheLaw on Friday 25th of May 2018 07:17:07 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Date:

I agree on one thing. Unless they extend the years to 5/6. Its not gonna to beyond my stated numbers much higher. But like u stated unless city or this job has something cooking its beyond anyones expectations. So lets wait and see. I believe they made the list this high is to pretty much eliminate any kind of lawsuit coming from people that didnt pass. Its an easy way out for them. That Lt list aint getting made unless they have some other plan to put all those space huggers lol. The reality is that Sgt does 90% of the work out there. Good luck to all i guess. More the merrier. One more thing its unfair to those that will be waiting that 5/6 years. Dont know if city gonna wait that long and miss out on the money they make from applicants.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 198
Date:

The program was good to me besides losing on Overtime..... they didn't let you make any arrests or do any details so coming from DB and getting 30-45 hours monthly it did hurt my pocket. Also, each command did it differently but mostly they had to follow a certain program which means you have to be ADO for minimum 5 tours, Sgt Op for minimum 5 tours, 1 community meeting, 1 tour with the NCO Sgt, etc etc..... in some cases they would put us in squads in other cases they had them doing steady. And I did the program while having something pending with the alphabet squad so just because youre on this list doesnt guarantee your going to BMOC, so those that need to clear CARB just stay hopeful.



-- Edited by TooSucio4u on Friday 25th of May 2018 08:40:25 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 221
Date:

TooSucio4u wrote:

The program was good to me besides losing on Overtime..... they didn't let you make any arrests or do any details so coming from DB and getting 30-45 hours monthly it did hurt my pocket. Also, each command did it differently but mostly they had to follow a certain program which means you have to be ADO for minimum 5 tours, Sgt Op for minimum 5 tours, 1 community meeting, 1 tour with the NCO Sgt, etc etc..... in some cases they would put us in squads in other cases they had them doing steady. And I did the program while having something pending with the alphabet squad so just because youre on this list doesnt guarantee your going to BMOC, so those that need to clear CARB just stay hopeful.



-- Edited by TooSucio4u on Friday 25th of May 2018 08:40:25 PM


 thanks for the info @toosucio4u,



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

hey guys in re: to the list of the mentoring program. I don't have time to read through or understand but are those the tentative names ready for mentoring for the end of the year or a big push?

need some elaboration. all of this is new to me. sorry.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

The same people who are bLtching about having to do the mentoring program (and possibly standing a foot post) are probably the same people who complained about every new boss who was clueless because they came from an admin spot.

I'm sorry you feel like you're too good for a foot post, but the admin guys need to get out behind their desk and into a precinct before they're promoted. Collateral damage. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

CappedOut wrote:

The same people who are bLtching about having to do the mentoring program (and possibly standing a foot post) are probably the same people who complained about every new boss who was clueless because they came from an admin spot.

I'm sorry you feel like you're too good for a foot post, but the admin guys need to get out behind their desk and into a precinct before they're promoted. Collateral damage. Can't have your cake and eat it too.


 Most of us arent in admin spots and on patrol already if you read through the post. And standing On a foot post doesnt teach you a damn thing about anything thats the point of us bitching 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Date:

From the previous Sgt. Mentoring what happen to RDO's? Did they put peopleon steady days off? Did they keep them in their current squad? Etc.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 749
Date:

Chilza321 wrote:

From the previous Sgt. Mentoring what happen to RDO's? Did they put peopleon steady days off? Did they keep them in their current squad? Etc.


 Steady days.



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard