Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Sergeantís Exam Graded Incorrectly ?


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:
RE: Sergeantís Exam Graded Incorrectly ?


Thebirds wrote:
Cmin7_9 wrote:
Thebirds wrote:
NinetyYellow wrote:

So Boirds, your saying that non-minorities did not receive any curve or did not benefit at all.


†No, if you happened to get a lot of the same questions right as the majority of minorities then you would benefit as well. That is, if this is how the questions were curved. I don't think anyone outside of that meeting can say for sure, but the writing is on the wall.†


†Okay bird, first you say the question was curved based on how many minorities answered it correctly. Then you say that if a non-minority also answered† that very same "curved question" correctly that they would benefit as well.. excuse me but what kind of nonsense is that!!!!?????!!!!! Since when is this a benefit for minorities???? Couldn't the actual answer be that these people got it right because they STUDIED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'll put it this way. I'M A "MINORITY" passed this test. I picked up 4 throwouts/double answer. And I scored very high on this exam. So according to you I got a lot of this "curved questions" correct and a little extra credit for being a minority?????? If so then I went more then 4 extra throw outs!!!!!† Your theory is insane. I scored high because I studied all day everyday for 13 months. So now I ask you exactly what righting is on the wall???†


†Jesus Christ, I can only imagine what your 61s look like.†


†Yep, that's pretty much the kind of response I expected from you. And with that said, we're finished



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Date:

Next bmoc class???

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 401
Date:

can a FOIL request be done regarding the grading of the Sergeants Exam?

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Date:

Samiam32 wrote:

can a FOIL request be done regarding the grading of the Sergeants Exam?


†Maybe we should just let it be so it doesnt actually get thrown out†wink



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 98
Date:

No one believed me a month ago when I said any over 1600 start studying wait until the first week of April and then talk to me!!!!

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Date:

narco26 wrote:

No one believed me a month ago when I said any over 1600 start studying wait until the first week of April and then talk to me!!!!


And no one still believes you. Because you're wrong... This place is starting to turn into the Rant.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

IamTheLaw wrote:
narco26 wrote:

No one believed me a month ago when I said any over 1600 start studying wait until the first week of April and then talk to me!!!!


And no one still believes you. Because you're wrong... This place is starting to turn into the Rant.


†What this fool doesnt realize is if this whole diversity stuff is true (and I believe is getting extremely blown out of proportion, as per usual) is that it will lead to even more people being hired.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Date:

GangGreenMets wrote:
IamTheLaw wrote:
narco26 wrote:

No one believed me a month ago when I said any over 1600 start studying wait until the first week of April and then talk to me!!!!


And no one still believes you. Because you're wrong... This place is starting to turn into the Rant.


†What this fool doesnt realize is if this whole diversity stuff is true (and I believe is getting extremely blown out of proportion, as per usual) is that it will lead to even more people being hired.


†Exactly! This guy gets it. A majority if not all of these 3 lists will be made.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

Lol, I have to admit, this whole diversity thing gets old after a while. At the end of the day, if you put in the work, you'll pass, and if you work your ass off, you will score high enough to not worry about any of this bull****.

And for those using the "minority" excuse look at the past Sgt exams where these alleged changes never happened. You will realize that those old lists are full of minorities anyway, the percentages of the minorities on each list is probably similar, except that this time it is a larger list overall.

I just got news that the exam was graded differently because allegedly they had to come up with a formula to balance out the difference of exams. What formula was used, no one knows. How much truth their is to this, no one knows. For the first time ever, different exams were given on the original exam date, and on the make up dates. DCAS wanted to avoid a lawsuit, and tried to be fair, because the reality is, some people who had taken the test on the original date and scored a 69, could have taken a make-up (different test) and have done better on that one by scoring a 77. So in order to "balance" things out, they used this formula to even things out.

This whole "minority" bull**** is just people using excuses because they couldn't score high enough, or higher then someone else and it bothers them. If you look at every past Sgt's list, minorities, and non-minorities are all over the top 100. So some of you may just need to study harder and man the hell up and stop making excuses. If you don't like your bosses, work hard to replace them one day and do a better job. Thats my motto.

If you guys want any cold hard facts about what I said, I can happily provide it to you by pulling up old lists and dissecting things by last names. The percentages are the same or very similar. Just more passers this time, thats all.

Ignorance. Unreal.



-- Edited by HanginByAThread on Friday 23rd of March 2018 11:48:50 PM

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.

BML


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Date:

Well said.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

It's just a little mind boggling the lack of common sense that we have on this job. Does anyone not pay attention or listen to their fellow cops ?

People ... if you scored in the mid to low 60's, or passed with a low 70's or even mid 70's, approximately a 10 point addition seemed to be the most prevalent amount that people picked up. For those that had gotten low 60's, some jumped up to high 70's because of LONGEVITY POINTS.

For those who originally scored 80's and above, they didn't pick up as many points because the probability of them picking up points of the 5 total changes on the test, had dropped (they scored higher, so they probably got the questions that were thrown out, correct), thus picking up maybe 3-5 points instead of 10. Vice versa, if you scored LOWER, such as low 60's up to the mid 70's, the probability of you picking up the throw outs increased.

In other words, for those who don't seem to want to see this .... but EVERYONE who passed this exam ... benefited from whatever was done. So man the hell up, stop crying, and score higher next time. I am in the mid 1000's and I am not ashamed to say it, it was my first test and I did a lot of screwing around while studying. But I'm gonna man up, take it right on the chin and absolutely destroy the next Lt's exam so that none of this alleged (score adjustment) bull**** can apply to me. Maybe some of you should do the same instead of looking for ridiculous excuses.



-- Edited by HanginByAThread on Saturday 24th of March 2018 12:03:25 AM



-- Edited by HanginByAThread on Saturday 24th of March 2018 12:04:43 AM

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:

Thinking this hangingbyathread is a well Placed sleeper cell. Post some seemingly innocent questions. Then perpetuate this rumor in multiple threads

__________________

What are you silly? Im †gonna send it!



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 204
Date:

Nah he's clearly a young guy who hasn't had much life experience. Don't worry, kid. You'll be jaded like the rest of us soon enough.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 451
Date:

So I guess I have to eat crow...didnt think dcas could botch anothee exam after the 2015 Lt exam...boy was I wrong!

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

So I guess I have to eat crow...didnt think dcas could botch anothee exam after the 2015 Lt exam...boy was I wrong!


†Not really. They didnt botch the exam, just graded it on some weird curve. The list is the way it is supposed to be.



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:

I mean does anyone get that these *******s said a meeting was being held yesterday. There was no confirmation. You will not get anything in the mail. Only thing you should listen to is bill parcels and his alter ego

__________________

What are you silly? Im †gonna send it!



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 67
Date:

Did someone say exam graded to benefit minorities. Doesnt that **** get old?? We do realize that the job is still heavy majority and not minority? Yes Hispanics average about 25% of incoming classes and blacks around 10-12% but the vast majority are still "white", the same is said for promotional exams. There are more majority who sit for the exam so are we that DCAS says **** all the white ppl whatever they score they score but let's make all the minorities pass?? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol. You guys have to relax. Why is it that no one can just wait until classes are announced or the list expires. Why must ppl constantly come on here and try to piss everyone off? You guys act like the sky is falling and cry wolf. Some of you trust some poster with your lives and hang on every word they say, ie Bill Parcells, yet you feed into what others post. If you have a person you trust with info, why get worked up over simple post. I'm not even sure why i care but its just disheartening to see some of the stuff on here. Guys be safe wherever you work, don't stress out and if you are meant to be promoted in this list you will be.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

Lol definitely not stressing out over anyones post, every now and then you just have to spit some cold hard facts. The proof is there, look at the 2009, 2011, 2013, and now 2017 exam lists. It's all extremely similar. The percentages are damn near the same.

Thebirds, your damn right. Got on young, and figured things out quick unlike many. Kind of funny how your statement of me not having life experience has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand, lol. But those are the typical tactics of people who don't have legit responses when someone makes a little bit of sense.

Jaded ?

Already jaded ... lol. Jaded because I never drank this jobs cool-aid and I try (keyword: try) to look at things from a reasonable/logical perspective and have never been gullible enough to believe the pure bull**** that the job feeds people sometimes.

Stay safe everyone. Thats really all that matters.

Oh and by the way ... just incase anyone is wondering. I am NOT a minority ...



-- Edited by HanginByAThread on Saturday 24th of March 2018 04:44:35 AM

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 67
Date:

So are you saying the percentages are the same because the exams are "fixed" not because ppl passed the exam? Will you hold the same theory when you see that the percentages for non minority are also similar. Will you assume that these exams are fixed to also make sure a certain percentage of majority also make the list?

Doesnt make much sense right? Lol

__________________


Founder/Partner

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:

Guys/Gals:

Ed and I are actively looking into this matter to get some credible answers. I know everyone is frustrated, and rightfully so. Be patient and we will keep you all updated once we have something solid.

Tony



__________________

Tony Raganella - Co-Founder, Rising Star Promotions



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:

Tony Rags wrote:

Guys/Gals:

Ed and I are actively looking into this matter to get some credible answers. I know everyone is frustrated, and rightfully so. Be patient and we will keep you all updated once we have something solid.

Tony


†I dont understand what the frustration is about. In 2013 DCAS screwed everyone over with the 30 research questions. Now they use a method where everybody gets by and people still complain. Nobody got screwed over. My command has over 20 passes in this exam, everybody who had a higher score after the protest still had a higher score when the list was released. Nobody with a lower score jumped over anybody with a higher one. Everybody needs to chill.



__________________
eze


Co-Founder/Owner Rising Star

Status: Offline
Posts: 335
Date:

GangGreenMets wrote:
Tony Rags wrote:

Guys/Gals:

Ed and I are actively looking into this matter to get some credible answers. I know everyone is frustrated, and rightfully so. Be patient and we will keep you all updated once we have something solid.

Tony


†I dont understand what the frustration is about. In 2013 DCAS screwed everyone over with the 30 research questions. Now they use a method where everybody gets by and people still complain. Nobody got screwed over. My command has over 20 passes in this exam, everybody who had a higher score after the protest still had a higher score when the list was released. Nobody with a lower score jumped over anybody with a higher one. Everybody needs to chill.


†scaling is done on all standardized exams like the LSAT and SAT. Its a way to ensure fairness whenever multiple versions of the same exam are given. The formula used for your exam is fairly simple: for each question you got right you got 1 point. For each question you got wrong you were only penalized .769 points.†

http://risingstarpromotion.activeboard.com/t64494876/grading-of-the-sergeant-exam-heres-the-formula/



-- Edited by eze on Saturday 24th of March 2018 11:46:43 PM

__________________


Founder/Partner

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:

Right now, it appears that the sergeant exam was indeed scaled as my partner†Ed indicated above with that formula used. By doing it this way, they are able to increase the list size while remaining fair because everyone benefited when it was scaled up without causing someone to jump over another from what their original raw score was. In essence, instead of the passing grade being 70, it is now 61 without it affecting list numbers.



__________________

Tony Raganella - Co-Founder, Rising Star Promotions



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 110
Date:

I almost got my head blown off when I tried to tell people there were different versions of the test

risingstarpromotion.activeboard.com/t63279732/protest-discussion/

__________________
Rick from accounting wrote:

Art thy mad bro? ^




Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

That confirms what I heard, and my post.

There you go people, take accountability, stop making/looking for bullshyt excuses.

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 119
Date:

Correct me if Im wrong. But how would the test graders know if youre a minority? I dont remember a race question.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

I never fill out the demographics on the bottom of the scantron

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 200
Date:

Funny how the board completely died after all these theories were completely destroyed. Says alot about some people on this job.

Cant even show face. Lol.

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 250
Date:

3 questions. How many news cops are getting in the academy, how many eligible Sgts to retire(20and 25yrs), and when is the next BMOC. Everything else is moot.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Date:

HanginByAThread wrote:

Funny how the board completely died after all these theories were completely destroyed. Says alot about some people on this job.

Cant even show face. Lol.


†Next bmoc lol?



__________________
«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard