RISING STAR ! The ultimate source to ace your NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain Exam Visit www.RisingStarPromotion.com to subscribe to our mailing list and get info on the next Sgt, Lt. or Captain Exam!

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: WHICH CLASS NAILED IT
Which class nailed it…? [122 vote(s)]

The key
13.9%
Elite
41.8%
Rising star
7.4%
Rising star and the key
9.8%
Elite and the key
4.1%
Rising star and THE PG
2.5%
Other
20.5%


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 66
Date:
WHICH CLASS NAILED IT


Survey says.:



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:

None of them nailed it. I paid for all 3 and all 3 had positive and negatives.

I liked them all for different reasons and if all 3 merged, than they would be almost perfect. But definitely non of them perfect.

For this test, what you needed was a perfect memory to remember all the junk in the book.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 265
Date:

Codgreen wrote:


For this test, what you needed was a perfect memory to remember all the junk in the book.


 This is the correct answer.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 154
Date:

If you paid for all three you really wasted a lot of money. Never heard of that in all my years. True aristocrat and millennial lol.

__________________

The Son Of Xavier has spoken.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 424
Date:

SonsOfXavier1997 wrote:

If you paid for all three you really wasted a lot of money. Never heard of that in all my years. True aristocrat and millennial lol.


 Its a huge waste of money, the RS questions got me a point on the sgts test but after going through that, stick to one that works for you and go with it. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1293
Date:

Ive passed all three exams taking one class for each. The classes are only good for one thing; keeping you on a schedule. Thats it. The majority is up to you.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:

I would not pay for all 3 again, but my Lt did it that way because he wanted to make sure he passed. My Inspector also said he did it for 2 of his exams, and I wanted to give myself the best chance to pass. I wanted to know what each course was like without feeling like I should have went with the other, but now I know what each brings to the table.

If this helps anyone I did pass, but I would say it wasn't from any 1 course, but like Bkbacon said but from keeping on a schedule, consistent, and also a lucky Friday. I really wasn't sure if I was going to pass when I went to submit.

Like I've said all the courses has it's pros and cons, but like I said both will be fine with helping you pass. I know I won't be paying for all 3 for the next exam, but I don't think I want to go past Lt.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Date:

Rising star is the only material to get.. the rest of is just a waste of money

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

I was told by many that took the test that The Key and Rising Star took the cake on this exam.

__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 424
Date:

DRPapi1983 wrote:

I was told by many that took the test that The Key and Rising Star took the cake on this exam.


 I was told Yano took the cake. Even by people who didnt take him and just did his cram course. RESPECT THE GUIdELINES



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 424
Date:

WETBRAINEDGINGER wrote:

Rising star is the only material to get.. the rest of is just a waste of money


 I felt the rising star questions were a waste of $350. they did get me one point though so theres that 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 982
Date:

Elite did well by me. Seeing the disaster exam we had, my 68 is the equivalent of a 88 at this point.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 540
Date:

HopeBoss wrote:
WETBRAINEDGINGER wrote:

Rising star is the only material to get.. the rest of is just a waste of money


 I felt the rising star questions were a waste of $350. they did get me one point though so theres that 


It's easy to feel that way, but even that 1 point (assuming that's all you got from it) can mean a huge difference on the final list. Ultimately, any of the courses will work if you put the effort in. Though I personally (and this is only my opinion) feel that I would not be a LT today if not for the RS questions starting back in 2011. Congrats to everyone who made it. It's definitely the best rank and I have no desire to be a captain.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

Trust me The Key and Rising Star are the best schools out there. I was top of all my classes. Elite questions were to easy and gave many false hope. Rising Star and The Key questions test your knowledge and best prepare you for these competitive exams.

__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 982
Date:

DRPapi1983 wrote:

Trust me The Key and Rising Star are the best schools out there. I was top of all my classes. Elite questions were to easy and gave many false hope. Rising Star and The Key questions test your knowledge and best prepare you for these competitive exams.


 RESPECT THE GUIDELINES!!



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 169
Date:

The Keys questions were dramatically easier than Rising Stars as well. dont shoot the messenger.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Date:

Neither class had what it takes. Repetition is the key when acquiring knowledge. However, attending lessons of Michael was a purrr joy.



-- Edited by Lenny on Thursday 30th of March 2023 10:03:07 PM

__________________

***Good Morrow***



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 105
Date:

DRPapi1983 wrote:

Trust me The Key and Rising Star are the best schools out there. I was top of all my classes. Elite questions were to easy and gave many false hope. Rising Star and The Key questions test your knowledge and best prepare you for these competitive exams.


 elite questions were more in line with the test THIS TIME around than the key ones.  As one of few who did both schools, elite won this round.



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:

The key crushed it! Ive only used their class and Im super happy with them



__________________
AG


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 154
Date:

after have taken three exams---the Rising Star questions are the most challenging and on point. They actually get you to look at all procedures instead of the 5-4-3 star approach. And in this age of pulling from everywhere its the only way you pass. That being said The Key was on point every time but Yano crams were good. He needs other instructors the man is a test prep machine might be getting to him....

__________________

The Son Of Xavier has spoken.



Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:

These forums lack perspective and clarity for people trying to truly gauge an answer to the proposed question because they assume 2 things. First, that everyone posting in these forums actually studied since the courses began.. and second, that everyone in this forum actually took one of the promotional school courses. If you just skimmed packets off of one of your friends, you can't judge either course. Having said that, let me try my best to give an adult answer on a forum that gets clouded with screaming children far too often. Both Elite and The key tell all of their students do not just read the packets. Many people get upset when they only read the packets and the test doesn't go the way they thought it should in their minds. This was a particularly challenging test. Many of the procedures that were hit were obscure, and to make matters worse, the possible answer choices didn't always line up with the flow of the questions even when it was a common procedure. I took both elite and the key and this is my unbiased assessment having both perspectives to study from. For the purpose of this answer, I will combine the key and rising star as one entity being that they partnered up. When it comes to elite, many people enjoy massive amounts of content. If you are someone who just wants hours and hours of content even long after it becomes relevant...Elite is probably for you. It's like watching a sports show on espn of fs1 where every day they rehash the exact same story because there is nothing else going on. Yet you just have to tune in everyday because you think more is more. Yanosik gives you non stop content..to the point where it is superfluous. If you are someone who enjoys having procedures "ranked" because you are a lazy studier and you are looking for a way to try to beat the test and get out of reading as much as possible, then you probably gravitate towards this type of class. For anyone wondering at this point..I did pass this test although barely by the skin of my teeth. I was getting high 80s and low 90s on all of elites questions. The questions were geared towards preparing you for a fair exam. Now...is that Mikes fault?...No..it is not. In his defense...he told you on every lesson that you MUST read the guide. Now moving on to the Key. George is not going to stand on tables dressed like the regional director of staples, give you interactive learning modules so you can rehash your kindergarten memories of pressing buttons and hearing silly sound effects, or give you crossword puzzles and true or false questions. If you are looking for someone to read the packet to you like an interesting bed time story adventure, then the key is probably not for you. However, every single relevant procedure from the patrol and admin guide was broken down in the Keys packets. They didn't pick and choose which procedures to leave out..nor did they rank procedures (and neither did the test). Whoever wrote this test definitely wanted to stick it to the idea of only reading up on main procedures. They key also told you that you must read the guide. Coming full circle, what people really want to know in this forum and for future reference is "Since the patrol and admin guide is kryptonite to me..If I'm a lazy reader and I want to try and pass reading just the course material alone and questions themselves...who should I go with? The answer is definitely the Key. And being that they teamed up with the rising star, you couldn't loose with the combo of the two of them. There were at least 3 questions that were almost word for word from questions on the Keys question app. I won't say which ones because there are still people that haven't taken the exam yet. The questions on the Key app were very frustrating at times because they went to obscure and trivial points...just like the test did. Elite is designed to make you feel good about yourself. You can earn badges, rank yourself among your peers and all kinds of other silly shit that you won't be able to cash in for a seat at the table at the end of the day. They Key beat you up, they are not your friends...but in the end you learned how to fight a real opponent. If you were brave enough to jump in with rising star also...you were more than prepared for this type of exam. At the end of the day though, the obligation to study hard and be prepared lied within yourself. Hope any of this is helpful.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1293
Date:

Tldr

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Date:

standbyfor63 wrote:

These forums lack perspective and clarity for people trying to truly gauge an answer to the proposed question because they assume 2 things. First, that everyone posting in these forums actually studied since the courses began.. and second, that everyone in this forum actually took one of the promotional school courses. If you just skimmed packets off of one of your friends, you can't judge either course. Having said that, let me try my best to give an adult answer on a forum that gets clouded with screaming children far too often. Both Elite and The key tell all of their students do not just read the packets. Many people get upset when they only read the packets and the test doesn't go the way they thought it should in their minds. This was a particularly challenging test. Many of the procedures that were hit were obscure, and to make matters worse, the possible answer choices didn't always line up with the flow of the questions even when it was a common procedure. I took both elite and the key and this is my unbiased assessment having both perspectives to study from. For the purpose of this answer, I will combine the key and rising star as one entity being that they partnered up. When it comes to elite, many people enjoy massive amounts of content. If you are someone who just wants hours and hours of content even long after it becomes relevant...Elite is probably for you. It's like watching a sports show on espn of fs1 where every day they rehash the exact same story because there is nothing else going on. Yet you just have to tune in everyday because you think more is more. Yanosik gives you non stop content..to the point where it is superfluous. If you are someone who enjoys having procedures "ranked" because you are a lazy studier and you are looking for a way to try to beat the test and get out of reading as much as possible, then you probably gravitate towards this type of class. For anyone wondering at this point..I did pass this test although barely by the skin of my teeth. I was getting high 80s and low 90s on all of elites questions. The questions were geared towards preparing you for a fair exam. Now...is that Mikes fault?...No..it is not. In his defense...he told you on every lesson that you MUST read the guide. Now moving on to the Key. George is not going to stand on tables dressed like the regional director of staples, give you interactive learning modules so you can rehash your kindergarten memories of pressing buttons and hearing silly sound effects, or give you crossword puzzles and true or false questions. If you are looking for someone to read the packet to you like an interesting bed time story adventure, then the key is probably not for you. However, every single relevant procedure from the patrol and admin guide was broken down in the Keys packets. They didn't pick and choose which procedures to leave out..nor did they rank procedures (and neither did the test). Whoever wrote this test definitely wanted to stick it to the idea of only reading up on main procedures. They key also told you that you must read the guide. Coming full circle, what people really want to know in this forum and for future reference is "Since the patrol and admin guide is kryptonite to me..If I'm a lazy reader and I want to try and pass reading just the course material alone and questions themselves...who should I go with? The answer is definitely the Key. And being that they teamed up with the rising star, you couldn't loose with the combo of the two of them. There were at least 3 questions that were almost word for word from questions on the Keys question app. I won't say which ones because there are still people that haven't taken the exam yet. The questions on the Key app were very frustrating at times because they went to obscure and trivial points...just like the test did. Elite is designed to make you feel good about yourself. You can earn badges, rank yourself among your peers and all kinds of other silly shit that you won't be able to cash in for a seat at the table at the end of the day. They Key beat you up, they are not your friends...but in the end you learned how to fight a real opponent. If you were brave enough to jump in with rising star also...you were more than prepared for this type of exam. At the end of the day though, the obligation to study hard and be prepared lied within yourself. Hope any of this is helpful.


 Purfection is hard to come by. You provide a fair assessment from your point of view. Thank you. 



__________________

***Good Morrow***



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 47
Date:

Very true, I took Elite for both the Sgt and LT exams. This time around I also paid for Keys cram course. While Mike does a good job of breaking down procedures and explaining certain things, this test really went to small nuances in procedures that were often not covered in the packets.

I absolutely hated Keys questions for that particular reason, they seemed very petty and would try to trip you up on dumb thingsjust like Lts exam ended up being.

Considering everything I know now, I will probably go with the Key for next Captains exam if I end up wanting to take another promotional exam. This test kind of broke my will to study again after putting in 9 months of studying to get a score in the 70s.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

22andOut wrote:

Very true, I took Elite for both the Sgt and LT exams. This time around I also paid for Keys cram course. While Mike does a good job of breaking down procedures and explaining certain things, this test really went to small nuances in procedures that were often not covered in the packets.

I absolutely hated Keys questions for that particular reason, they seemed very petty and would try to trip you up on dumb thingsjust like Lts exam ended up being.

Considering everything I know now, I will probably go with the Key for next Captains exam if I end up wanting to take another promotional exam. This test kind of broke my will to study again after putting in 9 months of studying to get a score in the 70s.


 Stick with The Key guy. Glad you see the light.  These exams are challenging. The days of easy exams are OVER!



__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

People I talk to tell me The Key nailed it. Theyre very happy with their results.

__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 330
Date:

Hence the curve

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

3testwonder wrote:

Hence the curve


 The Key and Rising Star style of questioning is what you will see going forward. Ask around and people will concur with my statement. 



__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

DRPapi1983 wrote:
22andOut wrote:

Very true, I took Elite for both the Sgt and LT exams. This time around I also paid for Keys cram course. While Mike does a good job of breaking down procedures and explaining certain things, this test really went to small nuances in procedures that were often not covered in the packets.

I absolutely hated Keys questions for that particular reason, they seemed very petty and would try to trip you up on dumb thingsjust like Lts exam ended up being.

Considering everything I know now, I will probably go with the Key for next Captains exam if I end up wanting to take another promotional exam. This test kind of broke my will to study again after putting in 9 months of studying to get a score in the 70s.


 Stick with The Key guy. Glad you see the light.  These exams are challenging. The days of easy exams are OVER!


 What's the point of administering challenging exams if they gonnna curve the shit out of it? Again, people do not deserve to get promoted if they can't even score an 70, period. Just try harder next time... 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 47
Date:

Johnny Zurita wrote:
DRPapi1983 wrote:
22andOut wrote:

Very true, I took Elite for both the Sgt and LT exams. This time around I also paid for Keys cram course. While Mike does a good job of breaking down procedures and explaining certain things, this test really went to small nuances in procedures that were often not covered in the packets.

I absolutely hated Keys questions for that particular reason, they seemed very petty and would try to trip you up on dumb thingsjust like Lts exam ended up being.

Considering everything I know now, I will probably go with the Key for next Captains exam if I end up wanting to take another promotional exam. This test kind of broke my will to study again after putting in 9 months of studying to get a score in the 70s.


 Stick with The Key guy. Glad you see the light.  These exams are challenging. The days of easy exams are OVER!


 What's the point of administering challenging exams if they gonnna curve the shit out of it? Again, people do not deserve to get promoted if they can't even score an 70, period. Just try harder next time... 


 I think thats the whole point. The job has direct control of how many passers they get. Instead of administering an exam every 2-3 years, they choose to curve the exam to get whatever number theyre looking for on the list. 

It does suck for the guys and gals that are in the 60s as for the next few months they will be left guessing how far the job wants to curve it. But based on the last few exams, this is just the reality of it. 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

22andOut wrote:
Johnny Zurita wrote:
DRPapi1983 wrote:
22andOut wrote:

Very true, I took Elite for both the Sgt and LT exams. This time around I also paid for Keys cram course. While Mike does a good job of breaking down procedures and explaining certain things, this test really went to small nuances in procedures that were often not covered in the packets.

I absolutely hated Keys questions for that particular reason, they seemed very petty and would try to trip you up on dumb thingsjust like Lts exam ended up being.

Considering everything I know now, I will probably go with the Key for next Captains exam if I end up wanting to take another promotional exam. This test kind of broke my will to study again after putting in 9 months of studying to get a score in the 70s.


 Stick with The Key guy. Glad you see the light.  These exams are challenging. The days of easy exams are OVER!


 What's the point of administering challenging exams if they gonnna curve the shit out of it? Again, people do not deserve to get promoted if they can't even score an 70, period. Just try harder next time... 


 I think thats the whole point. The job has direct control of how many passers they get. Instead of administering an exam every 2-3 years, they choose to curve the exam to get whatever number theyre looking for on the list. 

It does suck for the guys and gals that are in the 60s as for the next few months they will be left guessing how far the job wants to curve it. But based on the last few exams, this is just the reality of it. 


 It doesn't suck for the guys and gals that are in the 60s or 50s at all!! Your simply failed the test and why you still expecting to get promoted?? How about study harder and do better for the next exam... We don't need no more covid sgts/Lts..  RESPECT THE GUIDELINES! 



-- Edited by Johnny Zurita on Friday 31st of March 2023 04:35:31 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 470
Date:

DRPapi1983 wrote:

Trust me The Key and Rising Star are the best schools out there. I was top of all my classes. Elite questions were to easy and gave many false hope. Rising Star and The Key questions test your knowledge and best prepare you for these competitive exams.


 This is true, Elite questions are too easy. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 105
Date:

standbyfor63 wrote:

These forums lack perspective and clarity for people trying to truly gauge an answer to the proposed question because they assume 2 things. First, that everyone posting in these forums actually studied since the courses began.. and second, that everyone in this forum actually took one of the promotional school courses. If you just skimmed packets off of one of your friends, you can't judge either course. Having said that, let me try my best to give an adult answer on a forum that gets clouded with screaming children far too often. Both Elite and The key tell all of their students do not just read the packets. Many people get upset when they only read the packets and the test doesn't go the way they thought it should in their minds. This was a particularly challenging test. Many of the procedures that were hit were obscure, and to make matters worse, the possible answer choices didn't always line up with the flow of the questions even when it was a common procedure. I took both elite and the key and this is my unbiased assessment having both perspectives to study from. For the purpose of this answer, I will combine the key and rising star as one entity being that they partnered up. When it comes to elite, many people enjoy massive amounts of content. If you are someone who just wants hours and hours of content even long after it becomes relevant...Elite is probably for you. It's like watching a sports show on espn of fs1 where every day they rehash the exact same story because there is nothing else going on. Yet you just have to tune in everyday because you think more is more. Yanosik gives you non stop content..to the point where it is superfluous. If you are someone who enjoys having procedures "ranked" because you are a lazy studier and you are looking for a way to try to beat the test and get out of reading as much as possible, then you probably gravitate towards this type of class. For anyone wondering at this point..I did pass this test although barely by the skin of my teeth. I was getting high 80s and low 90s on all of elites questions. The questions were geared towards preparing you for a fair exam. Now...is that Mikes fault?...No..it is not. In his defense...he told you on every lesson that you MUST read the guide. Now moving on to the Key. George is not going to stand on tables dressed like the regional director of staples, give you interactive learning modules so you can rehash your kindergarten memories of pressing buttons and hearing silly sound effects, or give you crossword puzzles and true or false questions. If you are looking for someone to read the packet to you like an interesting bed time story adventure, then the key is probably not for you. However, every single relevant procedure from the patrol and admin guide was broken down in the Keys packets. They didn't pick and choose which procedures to leave out..nor did they rank procedures (and neither did the test). Whoever wrote this test definitely wanted to stick it to the idea of only reading up on main procedures. They key also told you that you must read the guide. Coming full circle, what people really want to know in this forum and for future reference is "Since the patrol and admin guide is kryptonite to me..If I'm a lazy reader and I want to try and pass reading just the course material alone and questions themselves...who should I go with? The answer is definitely the Key. And being that they teamed up with the rising star, you couldn't loose with the combo of the two of them. There were at least 3 questions that were almost word for word from questions on the Keys question app. I won't say which ones because there are still people that haven't taken the exam yet. The questions on the Key app were very frustrating at times because they went to obscure and trivial points...just like the test did. Elite is designed to make you feel good about yourself. You can earn badges, rank yourself among your peers and all kinds of other silly shit that you won't be able to cash in for a seat at the table at the end of the day. They Key beat you up, they are not your friends...but in the end you learned how to fight a real opponent. If you were brave enough to jump in with rising star also...you were more than prepared for this type of exam. At the end of the day though, the obligation to study hard and be prepared lied within yourself. Hope any of this is helpful.


 There were plenty of questions from Elite that were also on the test.  Some verbatim. and some on the same style of true procedures but different actors from that procedure.  I did both also.  I tell people to do both.  The key guys spend too much time just reading out procedures to you in my opinion and not explaining it in a way to remember.  

The comparison I tell people is that the Key is patrol guide for dummies to help you pass.  Elite is a real patrol guide class since he explains and actually teaches the procedures, whether they actually come up on the test or not is a different story.  If you are high functioning and can handle the loads of material and time to invest, elite is better to me.  If you need Patrol Guide lite version to pass a test, then its the key.



-- Edited by Ticonderoga on Tuesday 4th of April 2023 11:24:45 AM

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:

Ticonderoga wrote:

 There were plenty of questions from Elite that were also on the test.  Some verbatim. and some on the same style of true procedures but different actors from that procedure.  I did both also.  My gripe with the Key is that their books and app have errors.  Some may be silly typo/grammar errors and some were straight up incorrect statement.  In fact it was getting so crazy that someone kept track of it and logged over 175 errors on the key questions app.  That is a big issue and why I personally dont recommend the key for the materials or questions.  I tell people to do both.  The key guys spend too much time just reading out procedures to you in my opinion and not explaining it in a way to remember.  

The comparison I tell people is that the Key is patrol guide for dummies to help you pass.  Elite is a real patrol guide class since he explains and actually teaches the procedures, whether they actually come up on the test or not is a different story.  If you are high functioning and can handle the loads of material and time to invest, elite is better to me.  If you need Patrol Guide lite version to pass a test, then its the key.


 Facts.

I did both as well and I did not trust studying off of key guides because there were some errors and they don't update their guides when interim orders come out.  Yes you can argue that you can update yourself and learn from the process, but I personally would rather the guide be up to date and correct.  With that said key has good material too, just needs better quality control.  If they were perfectionist like yanosik, I would not doubt believe the key is #bestinterbusiness.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 105
Date:

Codgreen wrote:
Ticonderoga wrote:

 There were plenty of questions from Elite that were also on the test.  Some verbatim. and some on the same style of true procedures but different actors from that procedure.  I did both also.  My gripe with the Key is that their books and app have errors.  Some may be silly typo/grammar errors and some were straight up incorrect statement.  In fact it was getting so crazy that someone kept track of it and logged over 175 errors on the key questions app.  That is a big issue and why I personally dont recommend the key for the materials or questions.  I tell people to do both.  The key guys spend too much time just reading out procedures to you in my opinion and not explaining it in a way to remember.  

The comparison I tell people is that the Key is patrol guide for dummies to help you pass.  Elite is a real patrol guide class since he explains and actually teaches the procedures, whether they actually come up on the test or not is a different story.  If you are high functioning and can handle the loads of material and time to invest, elite is better to me.  If you need Patrol Guide lite version to pass a test, then its the key.


 Facts.

I did both as well and I did not trust studying off of key guides because there were some errors and they don't update their guides when interim orders come out.  Yes you can argue that you can update yourself and learn from the process, but I personally would rather the guide be up to date and correct.  With that said key has good material too, just needs better quality control.  If they were perfectionist like yanosik, I would not doubt believe the key is #bestinterbusiness.


 100 % if they were crazy anal on the materials, they would.  My other issue with the key is that mifsud is on another level compared to the rest of them except maybe 1 other guy.  My personal opinion.  Hes the best one there by a long margin



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:

Ticonderoga wrote:
Codgreen wrote:
Ticonderoga wrote:

 There were plenty of questions from Elite that were also on the test.  Some verbatim. and some on the same style of true procedures but different actors from that procedure.  I did both also.  My gripe with the Key is that their books and app have errors.  Some may be silly typo/grammar errors and some were straight up incorrect statement.  In fact it was getting so crazy that someone kept track of it and logged over 175 errors on the key questions app.  That is a big issue and why I personally dont recommend the key for the materials or questions.  I tell people to do both.  The key guys spend too much time just reading out procedures to you in my opinion and not explaining it in a way to remember.  

The comparison I tell people is that the Key is patrol guide for dummies to help you pass.  Elite is a real patrol guide class since he explains and actually teaches the procedures, whether they actually come up on the test or not is a different story.  If you are high functioning and can handle the loads of material and time to invest, elite is better to me.  If you need Patrol Guide lite version to pass a test, then its the key.


 Facts.

I did both as well and I did not trust studying off of key guides because there were some errors and they don't update their guides when interim orders come out.  Yes you can argue that you can update yourself and learn from the process, but I personally would rather the guide be up to date and correct.  With that said key has good material too, just needs better quality control.  If they were perfectionist like yanosik, I would not doubt believe the key is #bestinterbusiness.


 100 % if they were crazy anal on the materials, they would.  My other issue with the key is that mifsud is on another level compared to the rest of them except maybe 1 other guy.  My personal opinion.  Hes the best one there by a long margin


 I believe the gripe against the key is trivial. Lets be honest and accurate with our critiques if they are truly designed to give the neutral observer honest intel so that they can make their own decision. Does anyone really care if a couple of words here and there are misspelled? Both courses have typos. I don't think that's a fair critique. As for incorrect questions..you would have to give an example or else that is just a baseless claim. Also, whoever took the time to catch 175 errors surely got a 100 on this test with that level of dedication to fine detail. If the key is in fact the "patrol guide for dummies" you just made the point right there that it is the superior course being that the questions come from...THE PATROL GUIDE. I remember during the classes Mifsud was saying that people would email him at 0001 hrs asking why the new lesson hasn't dropped yet. If you are that anal, you are probably the same type of person who freaks out if your patrol guide (which you aren't really reading to begin with) isn't immediately updated the second a new interim order drops. The fact of the matter is...while yanosik definitely provides you with the most material...much of it is empty calories. They key may come across as a dryer course..but it is designed to make you study properly. The practice questions that the key gives you are to get you away from expecting that you know the answer from reading the first 2 lines of the question. They challenge your way of thinking and force you to take a deeper look in to the material. The claim that George is on another level from the other key instructors is true..but it is mitigated by the fact that every online class is hosted by George. So does it really matter who else teaches? If you wanted George to be your main instructor, you got him. It's all a matter of preference, but if you are going to knock a course you have to bring more than typos on questions and griping about instructors you didn't take classes with anyway.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Date:

Ill add my two cents. I did key for Sgt and elite for LT. I failed the latter and passed the first one. Yanosik was very annoying with all the yelling and constantly saying I want to warn you Be careful and Look up

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 154
Date:

The Key is crushing yano lately. He needs to stop the 1 man show hes slowly losing the battle

__________________

The Son Of Xavier has spoken.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 169
Date:

I did Elite for Sgt and The Key for Lt. I prefer Elite. I found myself making sooooooo many annotations to The Keys packets. Also, I know Ralph Cilento really tried to keep audio lessons to that one hour mark, but for the love of god, he needs to read that stuff first before hitting the record button. The audio is simply him reading the lesson packet verbatim, but he messes up constantly; accidentally missing or changing key words that would often alter the entire meaning of that actors step. I would read the PG, then read the packets, so at least I recognized the mistakes that hed make along the way. Sometimes he would catch himself, but most times he did not.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 265
Date:

The key has its own fluff and most definitely has a ton of mistakes. Also, the powerpoint videos are a waste of space and the key numbers packet might need to be rethought. Misfud and Ralph are both great, but how come only George got shown any love with his live class videos. I don't need Ralph to read dry powerpoints to me from his desk, i can do that on my own... show his live classes, where he teaches like a human being and not a machine. And having a substitute (Frank) step in to teach at the end, especially when it comes to one of THE most important sections of the guide, was jarring. I'm not saying any of this to knock on the key, the key was instrumental to me making the Sgts list, but I feel like positive changes can be made.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 198
Date:

Let me start off by saying I've been around this game for quite some time. With that being said The Key was always the best in my opinion; they had Jim Shea who left but big George Misfud followed in his footsteps. Now that they teamed up with Rising Star, its a no brainer to go with their combo, The Key and Rising Star!!
As far as this last round of exams, all ranks, the general consensus is that The Key and RS nailed it and Elite dropped the ball big time. Watch to see what happens in the next round of exams; there will only be one clear choice......
Hope this helps all.


__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:

Both classes from what I saw provided the necessary material. It's what you do with the material that matters. Believe it OR not, but I used elite and only elite. I started towards the end of January of this year due to personal reasons and I couldn't get much studying done last year. I lived in the library before work and my rdos. It was exhausting to say the least. Everyone has a different style of studying and that's what it boils down to. You have to find a style that works for you. I would sometimes look at others and say ...dam I should do what they are doing, that seems better... But I stuck to what I felt worked for me. The real question is did you do what you needed to do to nail it, and not which class nailed it. The schools instruct you to read the guide ( so you don't miss anything) and also read the packets. To be real, I only did the packets and his interactive learning modules (which is geard towards my learning style) since I had less that 3 months. What I did after that to retain most of the material is review everything I studied MY way. Do what's works for you and not what works for anyone else. Anyways, I got a 71. Not great, but I'll take it. I would've been more upset of the fact if I failed and all that time I spent away from my family was for nothing. My heart goes out to the ones that failed and actually gave up their time with their loved ones. In the end, none of the schools can get into the head of these exam writers. Some of the questions were VERY petty to say the least. But I pray for those who ACTUALLY spent their time to study for this test ends up passing.

 

 

Side note

-Always remember to pay good deeds forward. 

- just because you were treated a certain way while you were a cop doesn't mean you should treat your cops the same way. Everyone is human. 

-The job needs change, be the change, don't be lazy and don't be complacent. Praise those who deserved to be praised and treat everyone with kindness. 

- you may live In paradise, but remember some of your coworkers grew up in these streets your cops are patrolling. Remember to inform the new cops who are YOUNG and never had any actual dealings with the way of life in the city to try and understand the culture rather than judge. We are leaders, we must pave the way. 

- God bless you all. 

 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 105
Date:

UrinalFly wrote:

The key has its own fluff and most definitely has a ton of mistakes. Also, the powerpoint videos are a waste of space and the key numbers packet might need to be rethought. Misfud and Ralph are both great, but how come only George got shown any love with his live class videos. I don't need Ralph to read dry powerpoints to me from his desk, i can do that on my own... show his live classes, where he teaches like a human being and not a machine. And having a substitute (Frank) step in to teach at the end, especially when it comes to one of THE most important sections of the guide, was jarring. I'm not saying any of this to knock on the key, the key was instrumental to me making the Sgts list, but I feel like positive changes can be made.


 Completely agree.  The powerpoint videos are terrible.  I also dont need Ralph just reading powerpoints verbatim.  huge waste of time.  I also 100% agree that Ralph needs to record the class teaching which is far far superior than the powerpoint videos.  Him teaching live with all the intricacies he throws in is great. The key is a fine course, but my personal opinion, its not sufficient for people trying to hit 90's.  Its style of teaching is to reach the general personality and academic aptitude of people on this job.  Its also a stretch for you to claim that they Key took it hands down when it didn't even take it hands down in the survey in this topic. 

 

Bottom line, choose a course that works for you, but spend time to actually study and read the PG not just packets or books.  



-- Edited by Ticonderoga on Tuesday 4th of April 2023 11:25:43 AM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Date:

Rising Star

__________________


THE KEY—Instructor

Status: Offline
Posts: 96
Date:

@ Ticonderoga

Completely agree. The powerpoint videos are terrible. I also dont need Ralph just reading powerpoints verbatim. huge waste of time. I also 100% agree that Ralph needs to record the class teaching which is far far superior than the powerpoint videos. Him teaching live with all the intricacies he throws in is great. Let me be clear, the list of 175 errors on the app aren't complaints of their vs there. They were straight up errors and yes the person who compiled the list wound up with the high 90's. These are the anal things that make or break top 10% people. If thats not your goal, thats perfectly fine. The key is a fine course, but my personal opinion, its not sufficient for people trying to hit 90's. Its style of teaching is to reach the general personality and academic aptitude of people on this job. Its also a stretch for you to claim that they Key took it hands down when it didn't even take it hands down in the survey in this topic.



Bottom line, choose a course that works for you, but spend time to actually study and read the PG not just packets or books.

Thanks for your feedback re The Key course and the app.

1- The above-mentioned survey contains a TOTAL of 104 votes; we personally received more than that number of emails, texts, social media posts thanking us for helping them pass. Its quite possible most test takers are not on this forum....
2- Please send me the list of the 175 CONTENT errors on the app as you indicated in your post and I will personally reimburse you double what you paid.
3- I sent you a PM asking for the list last week but maybe you did not see it.

#bestinthebusiness



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 01:43:39 PM



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 02:16:33 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Date:

You come at the king, you best not miss

__________________
Sig


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 330
Date:

Kep Capt will there be a curve on this test

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 105
Date:

KeyCapt wrote:

@ Ticonderoga

Completely agree. The powerpoint videos are terrible. I also dont need Ralph just reading powerpoints verbatim. huge waste of time. I also 100% agree that Ralph needs to record the class teaching which is far far superior than the powerpoint videos. Him teaching live with all the intricacies he throws in is great. Let me be clear, the list of 175 errors on the app aren't complaints of their vs there. They were straight up errors and yes the person who compiled the list wound up with the high 90's. These are the anal things that make or break top 10% people. If thats not your goal, thats perfectly fine. The key is a fine course, but my personal opinion, its not sufficient for people trying to hit 90's. Its style of teaching is to reach the general personality and academic aptitude of people on this job. Its also a stretch for you to claim that they Key took it hands down when it didn't even take it hands down in the survey in this topic.



Bottom line, choose a course that works for you, but spend time to actually study and read the PG not just packets or books.

Thanks for your feedback re The Key course and the app.

1- The above-mentioned survey contains a TOTAL of 104 votes; we personally received more than that number of emails, texts, social media posts thanking us for helping them pass. Its quite possible most test takers are not on this forum....
2- Please send me the list of the 175 CONTENT errors on the app as you indicated in your post and I will personally reimburse you double what you paid.
3- I sent you a PM asking for the list last week but maybe you did not see it.

#bestinthebusiness



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 01:43:39 PM



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 02:16:33 PM


 

Didn't see it and just sent what I had of what you asked for.  I dont want a refund nor do I need a refund.  You're absolutely right.  104 votes is nothing statistically significant and merely an observation.  I'll reclarify that in my circle and those people on this forum, those that took elite did better overall.  Again, no matter what school you use. Its useless if you dont read the PG and put in your own effort into studying.  If asked whether I would recommend people to take your course, I still would with certain caveats.  Neither school is perfect and each has their own issues.

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

Based on some feedback that I got, many test takes said that The Key questions were pretty on point compared to Elites questions.

__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1794
Date:

Ticonderoga wrote:
KeyCapt wrote:

@ Ticonderoga

Completely agree. The powerpoint videos are terrible. I also dont need Ralph just reading powerpoints verbatim. huge waste of time. I also 100% agree that Ralph needs to record the class teaching which is far far superior than the powerpoint videos. Him teaching live with all the intricacies he throws in is great. Let me be clear, the list of 175 errors on the app aren't complaints of their vs there. They were straight up errors and yes the person who compiled the list wound up with the high 90's. These are the anal things that make or break top 10% people. If thats not your goal, thats perfectly fine. The key is a fine course, but my personal opinion, its not sufficient for people trying to hit 90's. Its style of teaching is to reach the general personality and academic aptitude of people on this job. Its also a stretch for you to claim that they Key took it hands down when it didn't even take it hands down in the survey in this topic.



Bottom line, choose a course that works for you, but spend time to actually study and read the PG not just packets or books.

Thanks for your feedback re The Key course and the app.

1- The above-mentioned survey contains a TOTAL of 104 votes; we personally received more than that number of emails, texts, social media posts thanking us for helping them pass. Its quite possible most test takers are not on this forum....
2- Please send me the list of the 175 CONTENT errors on the app as you indicated in your post and I will personally reimburse you double what you paid.
3- I sent you a PM asking for the list last week but maybe you did not see it.

#bestinthebusiness



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 01:43:39 PM



-- Edited by KeyCapt on Monday 3rd of April 2023 02:16:33 PM


 

Didn't see it and just sent what I had of what you asked for.  I dont want a refund nor do I need a refund.  You're absolutely right.  104 votes is nothing statistically significant and merely an observation.  I'll reclarify that in my circle and those people on this forum, those that took elite did better overall.  Again, no matter what school you use. Its useless if you dont read the PG and put in your own effort into studying.  If asked whether I would recommend people to take your course, I still would with certain caveats.  Neither school is perfect and each has their own issues.

 


 Guy, stop it. They called your bluff and you folded like a folding chair smh. Stop the fake news. Only post sincere and genuine feedback. Thank you. 



__________________

The end is near,..good luck to all!,...

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us