Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: June 2018


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Date:
RE: June 2018


ohnoes wrote:
FranknBeans wrote:

No Brooklyn North outside of the 94 wow.


 Except for the 73 and 79.?


 I missed that lol slim pickings 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

TransitJoe wrote:

Exactly, theres a ton of commands. Try to pick 25 and be happy with anything after 15. 


 Of course they're going to get worse and worse the further you go. But what I mean is with a ton of commands from every borough just about everyone should be able to get somewhere in their top few choices. It's not like there was a ton in Manhattan and very few in the other boroughs. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Date:

CappedOut wrote:
TransitJoe wrote:

Exactly, theres a ton of commands. Try to pick 25 and be happy with anything after 15. 


 Of course they're going to get worse and worse the further you go. But what I mean is with a ton of commands from every borough just about everyone should be able to get somewhere in their top few choices. It's not like there was a ton in Manhattan and very few in the other boroughs. 


 No for nothing how can they tell you to pick 25 commands. Im just coing to put down my top 10-15 anything after thise is not a dream pick lmao really anything past top 5..



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 439
Date:

Leslie wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
Leslie wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
SRGrook033 wrote:

Any idea when current Lt bmoc class is starting at their new commands?


 July 3rd= 1st day at their new commands


 July 2nd is their last day of bmoc and our first day! At least as of now


 You're in that 2nd class Leslie ? Congrats !!!


 yea sure of it. Thank you! Unless my CPI holds me up but doubt it


 So leslie and drpapi are both in this upcoming second class?! Dear lord! 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 439
Date:

In other news...im hearing strong rumors about this Lt. Mentoring program happening...can anyone confirm?

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 201
Date:

Wow really. That's the last thing this dept needs. Field program to show bosses how to be bosses of bosses. Give me a break

__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:

What list number do you think they will reach with this upcoming class? Does anyone know how many passovers their might be besides the 3 without time in rank?



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 709
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

In other news...im hearing strong rumors about this Lt. Mentoring program happening...can anyone confirm?


 No way lol.

Theres only two differences between a sgt and lt:

1. You can tell sgts what to do.

2. You wear a white shirt.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:
Leslie wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
Leslie wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
SRGrook033 wrote:

Any idea when current Lt bmoc class is starting at their new commands?


 July 3rd= 1st day at their new commands


 July 2nd is their last day of bmoc and our first day! At least as of now


 You're in that 2nd class Leslie ? Congrats !!!


 yea sure of it. Thank you! Unless my CPI holds me up but doubt it


 So leslie and drpapi are both in this upcoming second class?! Dear lord! 


Again, which class are you going in? 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 460
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

In other news...im hearing strong rumors about this Lt. Mentoring program happening...can anyone confirm?


 No way lol.

Theres only two differences between a sgt and lt:

1. You can tell sgts what to do.

2. You wear a white shirt.


You had to go there? Now Im forced to chime in.

1. Lt's work 45 minutes a day for FREE.  (the small raise you get is actually offset by working 45 extra minutes with no compensation)

2.Lt's don't accrue chart time.

3.Lt's benefits suck.  



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Date:

fodx wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

In other news...im hearing strong rumors about this Lt. Mentoring program happening...can anyone confirm?


 No way lol.

Theres only two differences between a sgt and lt:

1. You can tell sgts what to do.

2. You wear a white shirt.


You had to go there? Now Im forced to chime in.

1. Lt's work 45 minutes a day for FREE.  (the small raise you get is actually offset by working 45 extra minutes with no compensation)

2.Lt's don't accrue chart time.

3.Lt's benefits suck.  


Benefits also suck for Sgts. Im sorry but I pretty much pay for my own dental as a Sgt 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

fodx wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:
Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

In other news...im hearing strong rumors about this Lt. Mentoring program happening...can anyone confirm?


 No way lol.

Theres only two differences between a sgt and lt:

1. You can tell sgts what to do.

2. You wear a white shirt.


You had to go there? Now Im forced to chime in.

1. Lt's work 45 minutes a day for FREE.  (the small raise you get is actually offset by working 45 extra minutes with no compensation)

2.Lt's don't accrue chart time.

3.Lt's benefits suck.  

 

My LT did 180k last year and barely did OT. I'm at top pay sgt, did more OT and didn't come anywhere close to that.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 460
Date:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 709
Date:

fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Stop hating just because you didnt do well and will stay a Sgt.

Its ok it really is. You dont have to fool anyone but yourself to stay a Sgt.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Date:

fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Dont care. I've been where I'm at long enough its time to go. Getting promoted is a way to leave therefore I'm getting promoted. I'll deal with those issues when I get promoted. I have vacation days that I cant use anyway. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 65
Date:

Going back to the reason this tread was started... any info on the next class?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Stop hating just because you didnt do well and will stay a Sgt.

Its ok it really is. You dont have to fool anyone but yourself to stay a Sgt.


 Seriously !! There's always haters on this job who try and find WHATEVER excuse to try and justify the fact that they did poorly on the exam and will never get promoted.

There's NO WAY a top pay Sgt will come close to making 180/190k per year. I know plenty of LTs who make that much without killing themselves.



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Date:

Captains don't make 180/190k a year, forget about an Lt making that much without OT. I doubt you can make that much even with OT on a regular basis.



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Date:

Around 105!



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

mike16 wrote:

Captains don't make 180/190k a year, forget about an Lt making that much without OT. I doubt you can make that much even with OT on a regular basis.


 A top pay LT who works in a good detail and gets about 35 hours per month can easily make 180/190k. I'm telling you, I personally know a few LTs (one of them works in Srg & the other in CRC).

By the way, top pay Captain is around 190k plus



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1336
Date:

mike16 wrote:

Captains don't make 180/190k a year, forget about an Lt making that much without OT. I doubt you can make that much even with OT on a regular basis.


 A top pay Captain with no night diff makes 180k easily.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:
fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Stop hating just because you didnt do well and will stay a Sgt.

Its ok it really is. You dont have to fool anyone but yourself to stay a Sgt.


 Seriously !! There's always haters on this job who try and find WHATEVER excuse to try and justify the fact that they did poorly on the exam and will never get promoted.

There's NO WAY a top pay Sgt will come close to making 180/190k per year. I know plenty of LTs who make that much without killing themselves.


Lts definitely make 180/190 a year capping out on overtime. However one bad boss or incident can quickly kill your overtime... as a top pay capt youll make that without overtime, without guns and in a rubber room for rejects. They mess with you hrs but hey they own you no matter what rank you are! At least as a top pay capt they cant screw your last year numbers over! Pension, pension, pension!!!!!



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
mike16 wrote:

Captains don't make 180/190k a year, forget about an Lt making that much without OT. I doubt you can make that much even with OT on a regular basis.


 A top pay LT who works in a good detail and gets about 35 hours per month can easily make 180/190k. I'm telling you, I personally know a few LTs (one of them works in Srg & the other in CRC).

By the way, top pay Captain is around 190k plus


 This in my experience is mostly true. Top pay Lt making 100 hours a quarter pulls in around 180. Top pay captain pulls about the same (there is a website where you can see everyone's salary). My issue is the 3 years or whatever it takes to get to top pay captain. In those years captains make less than a top pay Sgt making 100 hours a quarter. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

ohnoes wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
mike16 wrote:

Captains don't make 180/190k a year, forget about an Lt making that much without OT. I doubt you can make that much even with OT on a regular basis.


 A top pay LT who works in a good detail and gets about 35 hours per month can easily make 180/190k. I'm telling you, I personally know a few LTs (one of them works in Srg & the other in CRC).

By the way, top pay Captain is around 190k plus


 This in my experience is mostly true. Top pay Lt making 100 hours a quarter pulls in around 180. Top pay captain pulls about the same (there is a website where you can see everyone's salary). My issue is the 3 years or whatever it takes to get to top pay captain. In those years captains make less than a top pay Sgt making 100 hours a quarter. 


 I think you mean top pay Lt making 100 hours a quarter ?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

No. First step for a captain is like 135 or 140. A top pay Sgt. with 400 hours a year easily passes that.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

ohnoes wrote:

No. First step for a captain is like 135 or 140. A top pay Sgt. with 400 hours a year easily passes that.


 My point is...

Lets say you are a top pay Lt. making 400 hours a year OT. You're pulling around 180k. 
You get promoted to Captain, for 4 years (I think it's 4 years to top pay), you are taking a 40k pay cut. That's 160k you lost. You then hit top pay capt and now make 10k more than a Lt. it will take you a long time to make up that gap.
You're a Captain for 8 years you made up 80k. Still down 80k.
You get promoted to DI now you make like 20k more than a Lt. 4 more years you break even. It takes 12 years to make up that pay cut from Lt. to Captain (not even figuring in interest).

I know what's going to be said, Lt's are working more hours, Lt's don't get chart days... I understand it. But I'll work more hours to get more money. I won't voluntarily take a pay cut just so I don't have to work less than 2 hours extra a day on average. 

Financially it doesn't make sense unless you hit it just right and super early in your career, or your willing to stay past 25. 



-- Edited by ohnoes on Thursday 21st of June 2018 02:13:08 AM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 114
Date:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 34
Date:

Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

AWOL4Life wrote:
Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 


 I just gave 2 easy examples: CRC & SRG

In fact Housing and Transit LTs are probably bringing in decent overtime as well. Maybe not capping out a quarter but they do pretty well.

Like Ohnoes and I have reiterated multiple times, a LT at top pay and in a good gig can easily make 180-190k a year. Don't listen to the naysayers and the haters, they're just upset that they're unable to obtain the rank.



-- Edited by PD2FD on Thursday 21st of June 2018 02:03:03 PM

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 38
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
AWOL4Life wrote:
Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 


 I just gave 2 easy examples: CRC & SRG

In fact Housing and Transit LTs are probably bringing in decent overtime as well. Maybe not capping out a corner but they do pretty well.

Like Ohnoes and I have reiterated multiple times, a LT at top pay and in a good gig can easily make 180-190k a year. Don't listen to the naysayers and the haters, they're just upset that they're unable to obtain the rank.


I make a minimum of 120 a quarter here in the squad and my LT makes exactly the same.  



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
AWOL4Life wrote:
Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 


 I just gave 2 easy examples: CRC & SRG

In fact Housing and Transit LTs are probably bringing in decent overtime as well. Maybe not capping out a quarter but they do pretty well.

Like Ohnoes and I have reiterated multiple times, a LT at top pay and in a good gig can easily make 180-190k a year. Don't listen to the naysayers and the haters, they're just upset that they're unable to obtain the rank.



-- Edited by PD2FD on Thursday 21st of June 2018 11:30:38 AM


 Umm housing LTs are NOT getting decent overtime. Only detail LTs and LTs at the boro/bureau are getting the good levels of OT to make 180k a year.

 

I mean at the end of the day an LTs quality of life is better. You can literally do nothing all your if u have 2 sgts. And sometimes theres 3 or 4 working. That equals naptime.  Average ot you're looking at 140 without working very hard at all.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 360
Date:

FranknBeans wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
AWOL4Life wrote:
Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 


 I just gave 2 easy examples: CRC & SRG

In fact Housing and Transit LTs are probably bringing in decent overtime as well. Maybe not capping out a quarter but they do pretty well.

Like Ohnoes and I have reiterated multiple times, a LT at top pay and in a good gig can easily make 180-190k a year. Don't listen to the naysayers and the haters, they're just upset that they're unable to obtain the rank.



-- Edited by PD2FD on Thursday 21st of June 2018 11:30:38 AM


 Umm housing LTs are NOT getting decent overtime. Only detail LTs and LTs at the boro/bureau are getting the good levels of OT to make 180k a year.

 

I mean at the end of the day an LTs quality of life is better. You can literally do nothing all your if u have 2 sgts. And sometimes theres 3 or 4 working. That equals naptime.  Average ot you're looking at 140 without working very hard at all.


 FALSE !!! Housing LTs are getting DECENT overtime, I didn't say good or great overtime ie:CRC and/or SRG. I worked in Housing in the BX and if you wanted to as a LT, you can do Umbrella/Impact OT on a weekly basis. In the summer you have cornerstone etc. There's plenty of OT in Housing for LTs, especially in the busier housing commands.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 467
Date:

Enough of this overtime ****! Lets get back to upcoming promotion.
When should the second group expect Finest and pictures?



-- Edited by sig226 on Thursday 21st of June 2018 02:34:41 PM

__________________
n/a


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 340
Date:

PD2FD wrote:
FranknBeans wrote:
PD2FD wrote:
AWOL4Life wrote:
Zeph wrote:

What Lts make 100 hours a quarter? And if that exists, that would be approx 12 RDOs in 3 months. Youre saying that such Lts would be having 1 day off a week for the entire year to achieve 400 hours. Who does that?


LTs in details easily make this many hours per quarter. That's only 35 hrs a month, not that big a deal to achieve. Patrol doesn't count in any of these conversations when it comes to making money consistently. 


 I just gave 2 easy examples: CRC & SRG

In fact Housing and Transit LTs are probably bringing in decent overtime as well. Maybe not capping out a quarter but they do pretty well.

Like Ohnoes and I have reiterated multiple times, a LT at top pay and in a good gig can easily make 180-190k a year. Don't listen to the naysayers and the haters, they're just upset that they're unable to obtain the rank.



-- Edited by PD2FD on Thursday 21st of June 2018 11:30:38 AM


 Umm housing LTs are NOT getting decent overtime. Only detail LTs and LTs at the boro/bureau are getting the good levels of OT to make 180k a year.

 

I mean at the end of the day an LTs quality of life is better. You can literally do nothing all your if u have 2 sgts. And sometimes theres 3 or 4 working. That equals naptime.  Average ot you're looking at 140 without working very hard at all.


 FALSE !!! Housing LTs are getting DECENT overtime, I didn't say good or great overtime ie:CRC and/or SRG. I worked in Housing in the BX and if you wanted to as a LT, you can do Umbrella/Impact OT on a weekly basis. In the summer you have cornerstone etc. There's plenty of OT in Housing for LTs, especially in the busier housing commands.


 How long ago were you in housing because while decent is a subjective term, the overtime has been cut. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 799
Date:

ohnoes wrote:
ohnoes wrote:

No. First step for a captain is like 135 or 140. A top pay Sgt. with 400 hours a year easily passes that.


 My point is...

Lets say you are a top pay Lt. making 400 hours a year OT. You're pulling around 180k. 
You get promoted to Captain, for 4 years (I think it's 4 years to top pay), you are taking a 40k pay cut. That's 160k you lost. You then hit top pay capt and now make 10k more than a Lt. it will take you a long time to make up that gap.
You're a Captain for 8 years you made up 80k. Still down 80k.
You get promoted to DI now you make like 20k more than a Lt. 4 more years you break even. It takes 12 years to make up that pay cut from Lt. to Captain (not even figuring in interest).

I know what's going to be said, Lt's are working more hours, Lt's don't get chart days... I understand it. But I'll work more hours to get more money. I won't voluntarily take a pay cut just so I don't have to work less than 2 hours extra a day on average. 

Financially it doesn't make sense unless you hit it just right and super early in your career, or your willing to stay past 25. 



-- Edited by ohnoes on Thursday 21st of June 2018 02:13:08 AM


 Wrong for several reasons.  Captain hits top pay after 3 years in the books.  So at the START of your 4th year you are making more money than you were as a LT.  Second, yes youre taking a $40,000 pay cut but only for 3 years, not 4.  So after taxes, youre losing about $60,000 over those 3 years which in the long run is a small price to pay.  Third, LTs have to work 40 hours of OT a month to make what a top pay captain makes.  Sounds easy but trust me, it takes a toll on your body and family.  Youre taking about 11-12 hour work days 4 times a week.  A captain shows up for 8 hours and goes home.  Yes he or she may get stuck with a bag of **** but you take it in time and retire earlier.  Last but not least, overtime is NOT guaranteed.  There are rumors swirling that Shea is going to cut overtime in DB.  You can not rely on overtime, especially with this city council and mayor ( upcoming candidates looking worse) hating us.  At least as a captain you guarantee yourself $200,000 in your last year



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 482
Date:

Well said JustWonderin

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 397
Date:

Are promotions still set for the 29th?!?

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

JustWonderin wrote:
ohnoes wrote:
ohnoes wrote:

No. First step for a captain is like 135 or 140. A top pay Sgt. with 400 hours a year easily passes that.


 My point is...

Lets say you are a top pay Lt. making 400 hours a year OT. You're pulling around 180k. 
You get promoted to Captain, for 4 years (I think it's 4 years to top pay), you are taking a 40k pay cut. That's 160k you lost. You then hit top pay capt and now make 10k more than a Lt. it will take you a long time to make up that gap.
You're a Captain for 8 years you made up 80k. Still down 80k.
You get promoted to DI now you make like 20k more than a Lt. 4 more years you break even. It takes 12 years to make up that pay cut from Lt. to Captain (not even figuring in interest).

I know what's going to be said, Lt's are working more hours, Lt's don't get chart days... I understand it. But I'll work more hours to get more money. I won't voluntarily take a pay cut just so I don't have to work less than 2 hours extra a day on average. 

Financially it doesn't make sense unless you hit it just right and super early in your career, or your willing to stay past 25. 



-- Edited by ohnoes on Thursday 21st of June 2018 02:13:08 AM


 Wrong for several reasons.  Captain hits top pay after 3 years in the books.  So at the START of your 4th year you are making more money than you were as a LT.  Second, yes youre taking a $40,000 pay cut but only for 3 years, not 4.  So after taxes, youre losing about $60,000 over those 3 years which in the long run is a small price to pay.  Third, LTs have to work 40 hours of OT a month to make what a top pay captain makes.  Sounds easy but trust me, it takes a toll on your body and family.  Youre taking about 11-12 hour work days 4 times a week.  A captain shows up for 8 hours and goes home.  Yes he or she may get stuck with a bag of **** but you take it in time and retire earlier.  Last but not least, overtime is NOT guaranteed.  There are rumors swirling that Shea is going to cut overtime in DB.  You can not rely on overtime, especially with this city council and mayor ( upcoming candidates looking worse) hating us.  At least as a captain you guarantee yourself $200,000 in your last year


Point 1. 3 Years or 4 Years doesn't make much of a difference. Still over 100k you're giving back.

Point 2. Figuring after taxes (the money after taxes) is the same as figuring before taxes, because after taxes a Captain only makes 5 grand more than a Lieutenant. It's all the same in the end.

Point 3. I said that. And it's really not difficult to do 11 hours a day, been doing it for most of my life (this job and the ones I had before it).

Point 4. There is always OT somewhere. If it's not in the DB it's somewhere else. Promotions aren't guaranteed either, you could be a captain forever and have it take 12 years to make up the money. All it takes is one bad traffic stat or one person not liking you. Discretionary promotions are more fickle than OT.

I'm not here to argue with you. For me it doesn't make sense to take a 40k pay cut for any significant amount of time to make 10k more in the long run.
This is all a personal decision, my personal decision is to stay a Lt.

I look at it like this. Would I give someone 120k right now, for them to start giving me 10k extra a year in 3 years, for the remainder of my career. The answer for me is no. It doesn't add up. It might add up for you. God bless you, the department needs captains.

 



-- Edited by ohnoes on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:20:36 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

Your figures only take into account time while on the job. More money = bigger pension for the rest of your life. Besides now that rookie captains can cash in the time for cash, the gap shrank more than that. Plus just getting the foot in the door for captains to make OT should help out future contracts big time.

I'm just playing devils advocate. Luckily my wife works so I know i'll be comfortable without having to go for captain. If she didn't, then I'd have to bite the bullet and study again. It's the better financial move in the long run, but its not for everyone (especially if you don't need the money).



-- Edited by CappedOut on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:34:51 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

CappedOut wrote:

Your figures only take into account time while on the job. More money = bigger pension for the rest of your life. Besides now that rookie captains can cash in the time for cash, the gap shrank more than that. Plus just getting the foot in the door for captains to make OT should help out future contracts big time.

I'm just playing devils advocate. Luckily my wife works so I know i'll be comfortable without having to go for captain. If she didn't, then I'd have to bite the bullet and study again. It's the better financial move in the long run, but its not for everyone (especially if you don't need the money).



-- Edited by CappedOut on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:34:51 PM


 I think this is wrong. I think it will actually lower your pension unless you stay A very long time. The loss of compounding interest on the 40k extra will hurt for years. You only Really make that up after a long time in rank. 

You get promoted you give up 120k. 

Lets say you serve 6 years a captain. You make back 60k. Halfway there, you got promoted. 

in three years as a DI you break even. 9 years after promotion. THe next year you start making more then a LT. 20 k. In this case it took you 120k and ten years to make 20k. Less than a 2% annual return. 

 

 



-- Edited by ohnoes on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:50:18 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

The real problem is OT can come or go as quickly as a CO or ICO.

Stay a LT, top out at 115. Stay a Captain, top out at 151.

That's the only thing that worries me about staying a LT.



-- Edited by CappedOut on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:56:21 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 131
Date:

CappedOut wrote:

The real problem is OT can come or go as quickly as a CO or ICO.

Stay a LT, top out at 115. Stay a Captain, top out at 151.

That's the only thing that worries me about staying a LT.



-- Edited by CappedOut on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:50:42 PM


Agree. But Ill roll the ot dice amy day over the discretionary promotion dice. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

ohnoes wrote:
CappedOut wrote:

The real problem is OT can come or go as quickly as a CO or ICO.

Stay a LT, top out at 115. Stay a Captain, top out at 151.

That's the only thing that worries me about staying a LT.



-- Edited by CappedOut on Thursday 21st of June 2018 10:50:42 PM


Agree. But Ill roll the ot dice amy day over the discretionary promotion dice. 


That wouldn't deter me. Honestly it's just the studying. Don't think I have it in me. Anyway that decision is 3+ years away.

Did you guys get notified for photos yet? Rumor still next week for promotions?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 201
Date:

Listen go make another thread to talk about your overtime numbers this is for info on June class. Move it along

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 460
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Stop hating just because you didnt do well and will stay a Sgt.

Its ok it really is. You dont have to fool anyone but yourself to stay a Sgt.


You don't know where I am. I might be 150 or I might be 1300. My position would remain the same. The benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks no matter what your list number is. But then again some of it is a matter of opinion. You might love getting your ass kicked at meetings and working 45 minutes a day for free. I woudnt. See? Opinion  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 709
Date:

fodx wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:
fodx wrote:

Impossible. Lt's make 125k, only 12k more than a Sgt but they also work more hours. You actually make more than a Lt does LOL


 Stop hating just because you didnt do well and will stay a Sgt.

Its ok it really is. You dont have to fool anyone but yourself to stay a Sgt.


You don't know where I am. I might be 150 or I might be 1300. My position would remain the same. The benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks no matter what your list number is. But then again some of it is a matter of opinion. You might love getting your ass kicked at meetings and working 45 minutes a day for free. I woudnt. See? Opinion  


 Im just below 1000 and Ive put getting promoted out of my mind pretty Much. Look at the bright side, you keep your chart days and you wont have to work 45 minutes a day for free! LMAO



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Date:

As we all know the sba dental sucks . I heard thayas a LT or a Capt there in a 20 per pay check option for supplemntal coverage that fully covers you . Dies anyone k ow this to be true ?



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 274
Date:

I DID 175K AS A SGT



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 274
Date:

FAKE NEWS!!!!!! IM A TOP PAY SGT MAKING 40 HOURS A MONTH AND MAKE 175 K AT LT WITH OT MAKES ALMOST 200k

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:

Who cares?

__________________
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard