Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Sergeant’s Exam Graded Incorrectly ?


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Date:
Sergeant’s Exam Graded Incorrectly ?


This is a serious post, and its made with no intention to spread false rumors. I created it so that some new rumors (which sound ridiculous to me honestly) can be cleared. A reputable person on this board confirmed that there was a grading error on the exam. Others jumped in and said the same.

 

Where is this coming from, and has anyone heard something similar ?



__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Date:

I would assume that if this is true, NOTHING can be done as we already have promoted Sergeants from this list.

But if it is definitely true, it is sad to say that the list being completely finished is extremely unlikely.

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 227
Date:

get outta here. this aint their first exam of last. nothing was graded incorrectly. lets get on with this. next bmoc?

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Date:

Yea, get the F outta here is what I said until multiple people started posting about it, inclduing bigfoot, who isnt a troll and has been spot on since forever. Curious to know if any lurker of these boards has any more info and is willing to make a post.

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 425
Date:

Hangingbyathread...we all just have to use common sense. I cant believe im on dcas' side with this one but there is no way in hell the exam was scored incorrectly. After the 2015 Lt exam lawsuit mess dcas crossed their Ts and dotted their eyes to make sure everything was legit. Hell it took 10 months for them release the list! They even brought in testing experts!

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 425
Date:

If anything the job is probably just concerned because they know not everyone on a 2600 person will get made. Sure a groundball sgt, lt, and even Capt exam will produce a greater number of passers which equates to greater diversity but the reality is there is no way in hell 2600 cops will get promoted to sgt, the rumor 1500 sgts will get promoted to Lt, and the rumor 280 Lts to Capt. By hey at least moral has been restored and people with time on the job have a chance after years even decades of unfair exams and scammers who cheated their way to the top.

The 9 heroes changed the game and balance to the force has been restored!

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Date:

Force, im completely with you. I agree. Except for one thing ... we cannot use common sense when it comes to dcas, i am shocked you are giving them so much credit. Again, this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but so did a 2600 person list.

I dont know.

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 74
Date:

im assuming the person who made the post failed the test

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

HanginByAThread wrote:

Force, im completely with you. I agree. Except for one thing ... we cannot use common sense when it comes to dcas, i am shocked you are giving them so much credit. Again, this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but so did a 2600 person list.

I dont know.


 Listen even if there are readjust I dont think it will affect much, from the sounds of it, it sounds like its adifference of decemals , I wouldnt stress it wouldnt be the first time they had to do readjust a list after its been out but this is just my opinion 



-- Edited by Drstylez12 on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 02:16:22 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Date:

If you are referring to me the person who made the post then no.

 

im in the mid 1,000s.



-- Edited by HanginByAThread on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 02:49:56 PM

__________________

Sometimes you win some, Sometimes you lose some.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

Theforceisstrongwiththisone wrote:

Hangingbyathread...we all just have to use common sense. I cant believe im on dcas' side with this one but there is no way in hell the exam was scored incorrectly. After the 2015 Lt exam lawsuit mess dcas crossed their Ts and dotted their eyes to make sure everything was legit. Hell it took 10 months for them release the list! They even brought in testing experts!


 The internet forum veteran can't believe that the notoriously incompetent DCAS ****ed up? You sound like a rookie. 



-- Edited by Thebirds on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 03:34:33 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 375
Date:

I joke around about a lot however I received this info from what I believe to be a credible source. I dont care if you guys believe it or not. The only reason I posted to begin with is bc I thought they could go overboard and hold up the LTs list. Was trying to verify it if possible. I heard the meeting was supposed to take place today. 



-- Edited by Leslie on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 04:57:36 PM

__________________

The only thing worse than the wait is the useless info provided by theforceisstrongwiththisone Pls delete this clowns account! 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 99
Date:

If all of this is true and exams are regarded I believe if my math and thought process was correct scores will go up and the list will get longer.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 703
Date:

3rdtimetheCharm wrote:

If all of this is true and exams are regarded I believe if my math and thought process was correct scores will go up and the list will get longer.


 Im hearing the same. Rumor is the list is going to 3400.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
3rdtimetheCharm wrote:

If all of this is true and exams are regarded I believe if my math and thought process was correct scores will go up and the list will get longer.


 Im hearing the same. Rumor is the list is going to 3400.


 biggrin



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 375
Date:

2andDone wrote:
brooklynbacon wrote:
3rdtimetheCharm wrote:

If all of this is true and exams are regarded I believe if my math and thought process was correct scores will go up and the list will get longer.


 Im hearing the same. Rumor is the list is going to 3400.


 biggrin


 Lmao no guys. It would most likely get shorter and list numbers/order of people would change



-- Edited by Leslie on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 05:58:58 PM

__________________

The only thing worse than the wait is the useless info provided by theforceisstrongwiththisone Pls delete this clowns account! 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 401
Date:

where did bigfoot post about this? Because I checked his previous posts and I cant seem to find it.



-- Edited by Samiam32 on Friday 23rd of March 2018 01:32:06 PM

__________________
NYM


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

Wouldn't they have to throw the whole list out? People that already got promoted should not be sergeants right now. They could have picked up points and passed over people that picked up less or no points.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

NYM wrote:

Wouldn't they have to throw the whole list out? People that already got promoted should not be sergeants right now. They could have picked up points and passed over people that picked up less or no points.


 No this is dumb, one of the dumbest things Ive heard, if youre On the top of the list this wont affect you much, you take the cake with this comment.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 375
Date:

Drstylez12 wrote:
NYM wrote:

Wouldn't they have to throw the whole list out? People that already got promoted should not be sergeants right now. They could have picked up points and passed over people that picked up less or no points.


 No this is dumb, one of the dumbest things Ive heard, if youre On the top of the list this wont affect you much, you take the cake with this comment.


 If true the whole situation is retarted 



__________________

The only thing worse than the wait is the useless info provided by theforceisstrongwiththisone Pls delete this clowns account! 

NYM


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

You are a moron. If you scored a 94 your promoted. Some people picked up 12 points. You could have scored in the 80s and picked up points and passed over a lot of people. So if your test was graded wrong then you shouldn't have had a 94 and you shouldn't have been promoted for another year depending on your score. So yes it could affect the top of the list. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

NYM wrote:

You are a moron. If you scored a 94 your promoted. Some people picked up 12 points. You could have scored in the 80s and picked up points and passed over a lot of people. So if your test was graded wrong then you shouldn't have had a 94 and you shouldn't have been promoted for another year depending on your score. So yes it could affect the top of the list. 


dumbest comment ever



-- Edited by Drstylez12 on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 08:45:52 PM

__________________
NYM


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:

Glad you changed your comment because you realize you can't spell.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 137
Date:

NYM wrote:

Glad you changed your comment because you realize you can't spell.

 

its realized because its past tense lol.









-- Edited by Drstylez12 on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 09:40:39 PM



-- Edited by Drstylez12 on Thursday 22nd of March 2018 09:42:56 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 351
Date:

So, as it turns out, this seems to be the job doing some fugazy **** with the LT (legally or otherwise) list, which is the same thing that was done to the sergeant list.

"Graded incorrectly" is perhaps the wrong term, whereas "graded differently" is probably best. I don't have more than that at the moment, and I refuse to add to the pot of ****, but there is something off here, that's 100% confirmed.

And, it seems it will follow through with the other ranks. If you felt something was off as to the oddity of the scores, list size, etc. with the sergeant exam, you were right. And I probably would have been one to say you're full of ****, because there's no way what happened after 2015 LT could happen again. Well, it seems I stand corrected.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 170
Date:

I don't know how to feel about any of this.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Date:

So when is the next bmoc class

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 26
Date:

63ASAP wrote:

So, as it turns out, this seems to be the job doing some fugazy **** with the LT (legally or otherwise) list, which is the same thing that was done to the sergeant list.

"Graded incorrectly" is perhaps the wrong term, whereas "graded differently" is probably best. I don't have more than that at the moment, and I refuse to add to the pot of ****, but there is something off here, that's 100% confirmed.

And, it seems it will follow through with the other ranks. If you felt something was off as to the oddity of the scores, list size, etc. with the sergeant exam, you were right. And I probably would have been one to say you're full of ****, because there's no way what happened after 2015 LT could happen again. Well, it seems I stand corrected.


 This would make more sense seeing as the LT list is still being worked on.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Date:

****

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 227
Date:

Honeybadger00 wrote:

So when is the next bmoc class


 Best question here.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 703
Date:

63ASAP wrote:

So, as it turns out, this seems to be the job doing some fugazy **** with the LT (legally or otherwise) list, which is the same thing that was done to the sergeant list.

"Graded incorrectly" is perhaps the wrong term, whereas "graded differently" is probably best. I don't have more than that at the moment, and I refuse to add to the pot of ****, but there is something off here, that's 100% confirmed.

And, it seems it will follow through with the other ranks. If you felt something was off as to the oddity of the scores, list size, etc. with the sergeant exam, you were right. And I probably would have been one to say you're full of ****, because there's no way what happened after 2015 LT could happen again. Well, it seems I stand corrected.


 They got caught putting who they want to put on the list.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Date:

Yes this true ... all lists are on hold ... unbelievable...

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Date:

MD



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

First time caller long time listener here... I heard the same

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

brooklynbacon wrote:
63ASAP wrote:

So, as it turns out, this seems to be the job doing some fugazy **** with the LT (legally or otherwise) list, which is the same thing that was done to the sergeant list.

"Graded incorrectly" is perhaps the wrong term, whereas "graded differently" is probably best. I don't have more than that at the moment, and I refuse to add to the pot of ****, but there is something off here, that's 100% confirmed.

And, it seems it will follow through with the other ranks. If you felt something was off as to the oddity of the scores, list size, etc. with the sergeant exam, you were right. And I probably would have been one to say you're full of ****, because there's no way what happened after 2015 LT could happen again. Well, it seems I stand corrected.


 They got caught putting who they want to put on the list.


 Bingo



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 425
Date:

Howdydoody wrote:

Yes this true ... all lists are on hold ... unbelievable...


 Oh and thats the reason why the police officers currently in bmoc are getting promoted to sergeant on tues march 27th. Lol. Give me a break..there is no hold. This is all fake news. And the Lt and Capt list will be released probably next month or may. Ladies and gentlemen..stop believing the trolls.

But hey I kinda expected this with a 2600 person sized list....every troll is coming out of the woodwork. Those that are on the bottom of the list as well as those that didnt make the list because they didnt bother to do Yano's and rising star's cram sessions.



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Date:

Howdy yall, not that any of you will listen, but Force has been right from the start of this rumor and ASAP worded it correctly; theres no re-scoring of the exam and DCAS did not make a mistake. The exams are graded differently now because of the difference of subject material in each make up exam given. This is going to be the new normal for promotional exams to avoid any litigation.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Date:

Wow DCAS outdoing themselves yet again.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

RosedaleRancher wrote:

Howdy yall, not that any of you will listen, but Force has been right from the start of this rumor and ASAP worded it correctly; theres no re-scoring of the exam and DCAS did not make a mistake. The exams are graded differently now because of the difference of subject material in each make up exam given. This is going to be the new normal for promotional exams to avoid any litigation.


 That's a weird way to say weighting questions based on how many minorities answered correctly  



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 401
Date:

Smells Like Same issue FDNY had with their hiring practice. DIVERSITY

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Date:

Birds, you can call it whatever you want. In the end, EVERYONE that ended up on the list benefitted to some extent.

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 93
Date:

Every candidate who sat for the test benefited from this curve. The amount of points you received was based off your raw score. Its simple math once you find the pattern. My partner and I figured it out a week after the list was published. The highest scores received fractions of a point while the lowest people on the list received just slightly over 9. Why it was done is beyond me and I wont speculate. But I will say that every test taker benefited regardless of their race.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

Reds wrote:

Every candidate who sat for the test benefited from this curve. The amount of points you received was based off your raw score. Its simple math once you find the pattern. My partner and I figured it out a week after the list was published. The highest scores received fractions of a point while the lowest people on the list received just slightly over 9. Why it was done is beyond me and I wont speculate. But I will say that every test taker benefited regardless of their race.


I'm sure you and your partner are very smart, but that isn't how the curve seems to have worked. Instead of thr final score being curved, each question's value was likely curved based on how many minorities answered it correctly. 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

So Boirds, your saying that non-minorities did not receive any curve or did not benefit at all.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 50
Date:

Thebirds wrote:
Reds wrote:

Every candidate who sat for the test benefited from this curve. The amount of points you received was based off your raw score. Its simple math once you find the pattern. My partner and I figured it out a week after the list was published. The highest scores received fractions of a point while the lowest people on the list received just slightly over 9. Why it was done is beyond me and I wont speculate. But I will say that every test taker benefited regardless of their race.


I'm sure you and your partner are very smart, but that isn't how the curve seems to have worked. Instead of thr final score being curved, each question's value was likely curved based on how many minorities answered it correctly. 


 I dont know, seems like it would just open them up to more lawsuits if they indeed graded each question differently. While I dont know how the test was curved, i do believe that the fraction in our RAW score simply came from throwouts. 

For example, if you originally scored 85 but lets say they threw out 3 questions  and then graded your test, your actual score would be 85 out 97, therefore each correct answer would be worth more than 1 point. Your actual score in that scenario would be 87.62

Obviously, there had to be some kind of curve on top of that or you wouldnt have people that scored in low 60s and still passed.  

 

 

 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 351
Date:

Some definitely benefitted more than others, and we may never now if someone's list number was originally higher before any fudging took place. Had X number of points just been added to everyone's score who sat for the exam, that would be one thing. But there is indeed a disparity in "extra" points that varies among people. Your guess is as good as mine as to how that was done.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

NinetyYellow wrote:

So Boirds, your saying that non-minorities did not receive any curve or did not benefit at all.


 No, if you happened to get a lot of the same questions right as the majority of minorities then you would benefit as well. That is, if this is how the questions were curved. I don't think anyone outside of that meeting can say for sure, but the writing is on the wall. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 33
Date:

Thebirds wrote:
NinetyYellow wrote:

So Boirds, your saying that non-minorities did not receive any curve or did not benefit at all.


 No, if you happened to get a lot of the same questions right as the majority of minorities then you would benefit as well. That is, if this is how the questions were curved. I don't think anyone outside of that meeting can say for sure, but the writing is on the wall. 


 Okay bird, first you say the question was curved based on how many minorities answered it correctly. Then you say that if a non-minority also answered  that very same "curved question" correctly that they would benefit as well.. excuse me but what kind of nonsense is that!!!!?????!!!!! Since when is this a benefit for minorities???? Couldn't the actual answer be that these people got it right because they STUDIED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'll put it this way. I'M A "MINORITY" passed this test. I picked up 4 throwouts/double answer. And I scored very high on this exam. So according to you I got a lot of this "curved questions" correct and a little extra credit for being a minority?????? If so then I went more then 4 extra throw outs!!!!!  Your theory is insane. I scored high because I studied all day everyday for 13 months. So now I ask you exactly what righting is on the wall??? 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 401
Date:

Since you scored so well it doesn't effect you. The scoring was manipulated to diversify the list. That's what they're trying to say. So if 500 people from a diversified group got a question wrong they can throw it out and they gain a point. And then this method can continue until the list is diversified to their standards.



-- Edited by Samiam32 on Friday 23rd of March 2018 04:03:34 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:

Cmin7_9 wrote:
Thebirds wrote:
NinetyYellow wrote:

So Boirds, your saying that non-minorities did not receive any curve or did not benefit at all.


 No, if you happened to get a lot of the same questions right as the majority of minorities then you would benefit as well. That is, if this is how the questions were curved. I don't think anyone outside of that meeting can say for sure, but the writing is on the wall. 


 Okay bird, first you say the question was curved based on how many minorities answered it correctly. Then you say that if a non-minority also answered  that very same "curved question" correctly that they would benefit as well.. excuse me but what kind of nonsense is that!!!!?????!!!!! Since when is this a benefit for minorities???? Couldn't the actual answer be that these people got it right because they STUDIED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'll put it this way. I'M A "MINORITY" passed this test. I picked up 4 throwouts/double answer. And I scored very high on this exam. So according to you I got a lot of this "curved questions" correct and a little extra credit for being a minority?????? If so then I went more then 4 extra throw outs!!!!!  Your theory is insane. I scored high because I studied all day everyday for 13 months. So now I ask you exactly what righting is on the wall??? 


 Jesus Christ, I can only imagine what your 61s look like. 



__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard