Final sale! $299 for digital access to ALL of our Captain questions and material (Print them from home or view them online) within hours of ordering! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com for more info

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Obtaining Bachelors degree


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:
Obtaining Bachelors degree


Has anybody on here gone back to school to obtain their degree while working? Im interested  in finally obtaining my bachelors degree and trying to figure out the easiest way for it to be done. I have 102 credits currently from 2 different SUNYs. I know I also get 33 credits from the academy, which gives me more than enough credits for my bachelors, but obviously schools, even John jay, arent going to accept all of these credits. Online would be ideal, but even the NYPD Leadership Program at john jay is in class only. If anybody has done it themselves and has some insight, Id appreciate it. 



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:

I finished my degree while working, pick a school thats either close to home or your precinct and transfer as many credits as possible while pursuing an easy major. Keep it to one class a semester, i tried online classes but found them a lot harder then actually going back to real class. Good luck.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Date:

I've been inquiring myself. Spoke to an admissions counselor for excelsior and even the most basic degree would average roughly 10 courses. There's a liberal arts degree that you can get from them ( I have 114 on a transcript already) that could be quicker. The overal price is going to cost you 12,000+. A friend did empire, and they required 10 courses. But they offer 6 semesters. 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Date:

I finished my bachelors last year. I did about 30 credits over 3 years on the job, taking about 1 class a semester. I too went to a suny school, they suck in regards to weekend and night classes. I switched tours every week to have the day off to go to class, and took avp picks during finals. Everything worked out good, but the academy credits are bull****. They can be accepted, but since they are only pass or fail with no letter grade they cannot be used towards a major, making them useless.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:

I also finished while on the job. Wasted a ton of money trying to finish attending in person because I had over 100 credits at a SUNY school. Had to withdraw from multiple classes and lose money bc I was in narco and would constantly get stuck at work. As previous posters said the academy credits are useless my school accepted 3 of them. You might have better luck if you transfer to a school like excelsior. I finally finished taking purely web based courses which I would highly recommend if your school offers them.

__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:

thanks for the reply. online courses are definitely the ideal even if I only take 1 or 2 at a time. Is Excelsior the Route you wound up going? Ive heard of many guys who have used Excelsior to have their academy credits put onto a transcript so they have the 96 credits to make LT. I never heard of anybody obtaining their Bachelors through them though. 



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:

Severin wrote:

I also finished while on the job. Wasted a ton of money trying to finish attending in person because I had over 100 credits at a SUNY school. Had to withdraw from multiple classes and lose money bc I was in narco and would constantly get stuck at work. As previous posters said the academy credits are useless my school accepted 3 of them. You might have better luck if you transfer to a school like excelsior. I finally finished taking purely web based courses which I would highly recommend if your school offers them.


 Thanks for the reply. online courses are definitely the ideal even if I only take 1 or 2 at a time. Is Excelsior the Route you wound up going? Ive heard of many guys who have used Excelsior to have their academy credits put onto a transcript so they have the 96 credits to make LT. I never heard of anybody obtaining their Bachelors through them though. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Date:

I dont know much about excelsior but I think youre right people use them for consolidation. I went back to my original SUNY school and attempted in person which failed miserably. I then did intensive online courses at the same school and finished.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 149
Date:

Dpal wrote:

Has anybody on here gone back to school to obtain their degree while working? Im interested  in finally obtaining my bachelors degree and trying to figure out the easiest way for it to be done. I have 102 credits currently from 2 different SUNYs. I know I also get 33 credits from the academy, which gives me more than enough credits for my bachelors, but obviously schools, even John jay, arent going to accept all of these credits. Online would be ideal, but even the NYPD Leadership Program at john jay is in class only. If anybody has done it themselves and has some insight, Id appreciate it. 


When inquiring about which schools are best for obtaining a Bachelor's degree, it seems like Excelsior, SUNY Empire, John Jay, and Thomas Edison are the ones that come up most frequently. It is best to call their admissions office direct and send them your transcripts to have them evaluated, then pick the school that is willing to give you the most credits towards a degree. For example, I had over 130 credits, between CUNY CSI, military, and our Police Academy but they did not add up to any specific degree plan.

I ended up getting my degree from SUNY Empire which accepted 92 credits towards a degree, and I had to take 8 classes of 4 credits each to complete a Bachelor's (124 credits total). SUNY Empire offers physical classes at different campuses within NYC and Long Island, as well as online classes. If you are in a hurry, they offer 6 semesters a year.

One word of caution, the school that is willing to accept the most credits may not always be the best option. For example; Excelsior accepted over 100 credits for me, but their "per-credit tuition cost" is so inflated that it would have cost me a lot more $$$ to get 24 credits from them versus 32 credit from SUNY Empire.  

It takes a little bit of time, but the only way to filter through the many options is to send them your transcripts, then pick the best option for your specific needs while considering cost (per credit), convenience (online, in person), and time (in a hurry because you are on a list, etc).

 

 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

john jay college ACCEPTS EVERY SINGLE CREDIT. Thats a FACT.

 

however, accepting ALL of them does not automatically mean you get a degree Because you reach the 120 mark now or that they will match up exactly with your major and school requirements. 

depending on the major selected, and the classes youve already completed you will be told which classes will still be needed to fulfil the Major or College Requirement courses.

They can also do substitutions and count certain classes as major courses.

it gets very Technical i cant explain cuz its hard via This message board.

like i said JOHN JAY ACCEPTS 100% all credits. But many as electives.

i recommend john jay for sure. Call the Registrar/OneStop/JAY STOP office and have them guide you. just be clear that your a cop because its a different process for us cops. They usually waive fees as well but dont count on it. 



-- Edited by JDMEVO9 on Saturday 6th of January 2018 03:31:47 PM

__________________

Your 2017 Sgt Exam Failed-Passers be like ....

abc-bell-curve

 

 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

Once you roll into JOHN JAY

 

use the POLICE STUDIES  PROGRAM to get 4 FREE CLASSES ! 

 

THATS FOR UNDERGRAD AND GRAD.. you dont need to apply through the job

 

just bring your ID to John Jay and thats 99% all they need. They already know whats on your transcript,

 

however ! If youve done AUTO CRIME SCHOOL thats 2 credits.. and they wont count that automatically unless you show them your NYPD transcript. 



__________________

Your 2017 Sgt Exam Failed-Passers be like ....

abc-bell-curve

 

 



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Date:

John Jay, like most schools, will only accept approximately 90 credits. The rest u must obtain by taking classes.



-- Edited by BONESAWisREADY on Saturday 13th of January 2018 12:38:09 AM

__________________

BONE SAW IS READY

 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 164
Date:

John Jay only takes 90 credits. And you have to take a minimum of 30 at john jay. Theres no way around it and that will give you 120 credits. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Date:

JDMEVO9 wrote:

john jay college ACCEPTS EVERY SINGLE CREDIT. Thats a FACT.

 

however, accepting ALL of them does not automatically mean you get a degree Because you reach the 120 mark now or that they will match up exactly with your major and school requirements. 

depending on the major selected, and the classes youve already completed you will be told which classes will still be needed to fulfil the Major or College Requirement courses.

They can also do substitutions and count certain classes as major courses.

it gets very Technical i cant explain cuz its hard via This message board.

like i said JOHN JAY ACCEPTS 100% all credits. But many as electives.

i recommend john jay for sure. Call the Registrar/OneStop/JAY STOP office and have them guide you. just be clear that your a cop because its a different process for us cops. They usually waive fees as well but dont count on it. 



-- Edited by JDMEVO9 on Saturday 6th of January 2018 03:31:47 PM


 Absolutely positively incorrect.  John Jay will take 90 credits max. Why do ppl spread such lies lol. 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Date:

Hey asssshole

 

since when the FUQ does the NYPD transcript have 90 FAQING CREDITS you Moron... 

 

my comment was in Reference to JOHN JAY ACCEPTING ALL ! The CREDITS FROM THE NYPD

 

DUMMBAZZ



__________________

Your 2017 Sgt Exam Failed-Passers be like ....

abc-bell-curve

 

 

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard