Rising Star has been preparing students for the NYPD Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain exam for over a decade! Check us out at www.risingstarpromotion.com and find out why we are the #1 school for live or at-home study

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Take home pay/cat 1 car


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:
Take home pay/cat 1 car


Can anyone advise what a new captain's biweekly take home pay is. I know longevity changes the numbers a bit, but just trying to get an idea. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Is it confirmed that Xo's get take home cars now or are they still working on that? Trying to gain insight if the promotion is worth it or not.



-- Edited by tensixone on Saturday 30th of July 2016 09:46:50 AM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1335
Date:

XO's get take home cars.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1335
Date:

Here you go



Attachments
__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Thanks backlog. Looks like you're up next for promotion. Congratulations in advance!

__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:

Nice. So CO's and XO's have take home cars. What about captains of details and captains at 1pp?
In other words, does every captain get a take home car now?

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1335
Date:

Every Captain



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1335
Date:

tensixone wrote:

Thanks backlog. Looks like you're up next for promotion. Congratulations in advance!


 Thanks



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 62
Date:

tensixone wrote:

Can anyone advise what a new captain's biweekly take home pay is. I know longevity changes the numbers a bit, but just trying to get an idea. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Is it confirmed that Xo's get take home cars now or are they still working on that? Trying to gain insight if the promotion is worth it or not.



-- Edited by tensixone on Saturday 30th of July 2016 09:46:50 AM


 Even if you didn't get a car the promotion would be worth it. The $38,000 more just in base salary and working an eight hour tour as opposed to 8:45 should be viewed as incentive enough. Not to mention Captains can now earn some cash OT.



__________________

"We don't choose to shoot people. People choose for us to shoot them." Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

 

"The best way to not get shot by a New York City police officer is not carry a gun and not raise that gun toward them," William Bratton 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Inspector71 wrote:
tensixone wrote:

Can anyone advise what a new captain's biweekly take home pay is. I know longevity changes the numbers a bit, but just trying to get an idea. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Is it confirmed that Xo's get take home cars now or are they still working on that? Trying to gain insight if the promotion is worth it or not.



-- Edited by tensixone on Saturday 30th of July 2016 09:46:50 AM


 Even if you didn't get a car the promotion would be worth it. The $38,000 more just in base salary and working an eight hour tour as opposed to 8:45 should be viewed as incentive enough. Not to mention Captains 

Long term absolutely!!##

I'm in a place wherei make ot and i would be taking @ a 90-100k pay cut the 1st 3 years. Just trying to feel this out.

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Date:

How about consecutive days off with a piece of the weekend, is that standard now for captains (even brand new captains)?

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Date:

Inspector71 wrote:
tensixone wrote:

Can anyone advise what a new captain's biweekly take home pay is. I know longevity changes the numbers a bit, but just trying to get an idea. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Is it confirmed that Xo's get take home cars now or are they still working on that? Trying to gain insight if the promotion is worth it or not.



-- Edited by tensixone on Saturday 30th of July 2016 09:46:50 AM


 Even if you didn't get a car the promotion would be worth it. The $38,000 more just in base salary and working an eight hour tour as opposed to 8:45 should be viewed as incentive enough. Not to mention Captains can now earn some cash OT.


 Can anyone explain how the cash OT works as a captain . How much they are allowed to take and under what circumstances etc..



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 671
Date:

wereinbacklog wrote:

Every Captain


 Have to correct this. COs and XOs of enforcement commands, and COs of enforcement details get cars. A captain in 1PP or some random special projects spot doesn't necessarily get a car. (This was intentionally done to give incentives for captains to stay on patrol and not bolt to the first detail that called them.)



-- Edited by unborn on Monday 1st of August 2016 07:55:33 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 671
Date:

RDOs - From what I know, all XOs have Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon. That's subject to change occasionally with duties and such but it should be one of those two sets. In PBMS, in the summer, I think most XOs get one RDO a week if they're lucky.

Cash OT - For the first three years, you can take up to 180 per year. The pay rate is around $62 an hour. Take it in time unless you really need the money. After the third year, you can get paid for 25 hours of each quarter by sacrificing 67.5 hours of time. This is definitely not a good deal, unless it's your last year and want to add to the pension.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Date:

unborn wrote:

RDOs - From what I know, all XOs have Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon. That's subject to change occasionally with duties and such but it should be one of those two sets. In PBMS, in the summer, I think most XOs get one RDO a week if they're lucky.

Cash OT - For the first three years, you can take up to 180 per year. The pay rate is around $62 an hour. Take it in time unless you really need the money. After the third year, you can get paid for 25 hours of each quarter by sacrificing 67.5 hours of time. This is definitely not a good deal, unless it's your last year and want to add to the pension.


 Thanks for the info. Definitely worth getting promoted to captain, especially with those rdo's. Time to start hitting the books once again.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 62
Date:

Having steady RDO's with a piece of the weekend and two consecutive days off are not a guarantee. Many Executives still have split RDO's and they are during the middle of the week. Depends on the command.

Look at the payscale and that should be your incentive to get promoted. As with every rank, you initially take a cut in pay (especially if you work in a command with high OT) but make it up in the long run with having to do that much less OT. Weigh the quality of life you have now doing X # of extra hours in OT versus the quality of life you will have with the extra free time.



__________________

"We don't choose to shoot people. People choose for us to shoot them." Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

 

"The best way to not get shot by a New York City police officer is not carry a gun and not raise that gun toward them," William Bratton 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 179
Date:

Inspector71 wrote:

Having steady RDO's with a piece of the weekend and two consecutive days off are not a guarantee. Many Executives still have split RDO's and they are during the middle of the week. Depends on the command.

Look at the payscale and that should be your incentive to get promoted. As with every rank, you initially take a cut in pay (especially if you work in a command with high OT) but make it up in the long run with having to do that much less OT. Weigh the quality of life you have now doing X # of extra hours in OT versus the quality of life you will have with the extra free time.


 I agree. Any promotion will pay off in the long run, especially if you have under 12 years on the job. Like any rank, you have crime sergeants that been doing 6x2 's sun mon rdo's forever and then training sergeants doing 7x3 sat sun rdo's . I guess you just have to roll with the punches. Every xo I've seen though always did some sort of a 4x12 for the most part 



__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

in PBBN we have Sun/Mon but our duty chart is slotted for the entire year. You know ahead of time when you have duties on your RDO. Occasionally you may get stuck doing duties on both RDO in a row since its 12x8, 8x4, 4x12 in a row. We hardly ever cover midnight duties in the chart because outside commands cover them. Once in a while you may get stuck on a weekend double but the newer captains usually get hit with that or someone who wants to make it work for them.

Last minute duty coverage on RDO = OT. Otherwise scheduled duties on RDO you can either take a RDO during the week or bank the day and use it later. Its like a chart day but better because it means you worked an RDO and less likely to get denied (as long as its not a friday/saturday night in the summer- without the CO covering for you). Other than that its not all bad. 8 hour tours are a Godsend and are the better than the Category 1 vehicle and cash OT, especially when working doubles.

Shooting commands in PBBN usually mean 6x2 friday/saturday nights, or if the command has really been violent until 4am. I am glad I took the promotion and would do it again in a heartbeat. Long term its an easy choice and for anyone who is young you now have the incentive of 15 year in rank = Deputy Chief pension. If you can hit it by 10-11 years and you plan on 25 your walking out one way or another with a star, pension or ID card. lol

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Thanks for the insight!

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

Any other questions feel free to PM.

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard